Author Topic: Windows security icon that disappears when starting Avast  (Read 6280 times)

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
Windows security icon that disappears when starting Avast
« on: May 09, 2023, 10:18:00 PM »
HI,
to my PC (but this also happens to my sister's) it sometimes happens, randomly, that after starting up the PC the "Windows Security" icon disappears as soon as the Avast Free components start up. During startup it appears for a few seconds and then disappears(screenshot)
The problem is solved by carrying out the Windows system file repair procedure with the following command in the DOS prompt with administrator rights:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

It happened again today after a reboot following the update of the latest release of Avast Free.

Can you solve the problem?
It's just an annoying graphic issue, because entering the Windows Security settings Avast Free reads correctly(screenshot 1)
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows security icon that disappears when starting Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 10:59:21 PM »
Well I don't have Windows Security in the location in your screenshot, but I don't want it there either. 

You also appear to be missing the up chevron to access other programs/functions not in the tray.  Don't worry about the other two icons to the left of that (they are shortcuts I have added).

You also appear to be missing the two bars || that allows you to expand the area used to display the icons - unless of course you have cropped the screenshot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 07:35:03 PM »
Well I don't have Windows Security in the location in your screenshot, but I don't want it there either. 

You also appear to be missing the up chevron to access other programs/functions not in the tray.  Don't worry about the other two icons to the left of that (they are shortcuts I have added).

You also appear to be missing the two bars || that allows you to expand the area used to display the icons - unless of course you have cropped the screenshot.

I have all the icons uncovered, I don't have any hidden icons, also because there are few programs in automatic start and therefore the relative icons.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 10:10:22 PM »
Well everyone is likely to have different settings depending on their needs/requirements.  So it looks like ours differ as I'm not experiencing this.

A very long time ago I participated in the Avast Beta trials, no longer.   Some time ago I felt that the Alpha testing wasn't great, basically a new Beta was released and it introduced NEW problems that weren't present in the previous Beta. 

Now we're seeing problems in new versions of the regular program release versions of Avast that weren't present in the previous regular update version.  To me that is both an issue with Alpha and Beta testing.

To that end I'm don't do auto program update, but monitor the beta and regular program releases in the forums, am I experiencing problems reported in he forums and do I actually need/use the function.  In many cases I don't so I stick with what I have when I'm not experiencing the problem supposedly resolved.  So you can see from my signature I'm still on 23.1.xxxx
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline John367

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 02:57:56 AM »
I am having the same issue, just started with 23.4.   Did not happen with 23.3.

Continues to happen with 23.5 beta as well.

The Windows defender icon disappears.  If I uninstall Avast, it behaves as expected.

To clarify, the Windows security service is still running and if I start Defender, all is running.  It is just the tray icon disappearing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 04:15:12 AM by John367 »

Offline dnzrzx34

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 11:20:22 AM »
This is happening here since some versions irregularly.
Can't tell why sometimes it doesn't appear.
I already added additionally autostart tasks for windows security icon.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 11:24:58 AM by dnzrzx34 »

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 03:51:23 PM »
@jan.svoboda and @petr.kolacek please support... :D
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 03:44:08 PM »
I do not loose the Windows Security icon on my Win10 machine with Avast free 23.4.
I see @Nunzio77 has 32bit Win 10.
I wonder if version of Windows is significant for this behaviour to occur.
Maybe @dnzrzx34 and @John367 reporting the same problem can indicate operating system and version they are using.

Offline John367

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 07:05:51 PM »
I am on Windows 11 22H2

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 09:33:08 AM »
@jan.svoboda e @petr.kolacek news??
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 08:10:36 AM »

Hello everyone, looking at it and will get back to you soon. Thank you. Have a nice day, Petr

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 08:31:08 PM »

Hello everyone, looking at it and will get back to you soon. Thank you. Have a nice day, Petr

Hello everyone, let me share some info about this issue - today we spent some hours on this and what we have found:
* we were able to induce the issue with windows security icon sometimes missing in icons corner
* the icon itself is displayed as a part of the SecurityHealthSystray.exe process
* this process is for some reason terminated after like 1-2 seconds during the system startup
* sometimes it also happen the icon is not there, but the process is running
* we are still searching for what is causing it

Once there is something new in this, I will let you know. Thank you again for letting us know about it and have a nice day. Petr

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2023, 11:39:00 PM »

Hello everyone, let me share some info about this issue - today we spent some hours on this and what we have found:
* we were able to induce the issue with windows security icon sometimes missing in icons corner
* the icon itself is displayed as a part of the SecurityHealthSystray.exe process
* this process is for some reason terminated after like 1-2 seconds during the system startup

Once there is something new in this, I will let you know. Thank you again for letting us know about it and have a nice day. Petr

Optimal! Great Avast team!
Yes, it is indeed exactly as you described.
It also happens on some PC startups that even the bluethoot or WiFi icons don't appear, then just restart the PC and they appear.

We await resolution.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2023, 08:21:11 AM »

It also happens on some PC startups that even the bluethoot or WiFi icons don't appear, then just restart the PC and they appear.

We await resolution.

Hello everyone, please let me inform you that yesterday, we finally found out what is causing the issue so let me share some key points:
* the problem seems to start with 23.3 version (23.2 and lower seems to be ok)
* the problem is somehow connected to our security network driver aswNetHub.sys - when not loaded, problem does not occur

Now, hunting what exactly is causing the issue and fixing it could be longer (not much changes went to this driver recently, so it could be something related but not directly connected) but bug is recorded and colleagues are looking at it. Will keep you informed about it.

Have a nice day ;)

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2023, 08:36:39 AM »

We await resolution.

Hello everyone, please let me inform you that yesterday, we finally found out what is causing the issue so let me share some key points:
* the problem seems to start with 23.3 version (23.2 and lower seems to be ok)
* the problem is somehow connected to our security network driver aswNetHub.sys - when not loaded, problem does not occur

Now, hunting what exactly is causing the issue and fixing it could be longer (not much changes went to this driver recently, so it could be something related but not directly connected) but bug is recorded and colleagues are looking at it. Will keep you informed about it.

Have a nice day ;)

Thanks so much for the interesting updates.  :)
We look forward to the next updates and developments.  ;)
Good job to all the Avast team!  :D
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio