Author Topic: Quad9 DNS clashes with Avast WebShield  (Read 1995 times)

Offline kotysh

Quad9 DNS clashes with Avast WebShield
« on: April 23, 2023, 12:01:27 AM »
Hello,

I have Avast Premium Security on my MacOS and it works well.
However, when the other day I wanted to change my DNS servers to Quad9, I noticed that it didn't take the change, because Avast DNS settings override it (in order for the Web protection to work correctly, I'm guessing)

What is the correct way of changing my DNS servers to Quad9 (or any other provider) while keeping the Avast premium security active?

Thank you

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Quad9 DNS clashes with Avast WebShield
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 08:58:23 AM »
Hello,

I have Avast Premium Security on my MacOS and it works well.
However, when the other day I wanted to change my DNS servers to Quad9, I noticed that it didn't take the change, because Avast DNS settings override it (in order for the Web protection to work correctly, I'm guessing)

What is the correct way of changing my DNS servers to Quad9 (or any other provider) while keeping the Avast premium security active?

Thank you

Hello,
it is likely that it is caused by Web Hijack Guard, which overrides some DNS queries. Webshield uses WHG to do the same for DNS over HTTPS queries done by web browsers; thus disabling Webshield has an impact. Cleaner would be to disable Web Hijack Guard directly.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek

Offline kotysh

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 03:16:39 AM »
Thanks! Would be great if you could post a step-by-step instruction on how to do it.
I can't seem to find this option on Avast Premium Security product.

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 02:53:18 PM »
Thanks! Would be great if you could post a step-by-step instruction on how to do it.
I can't seem to find this option on Avast Premium Security product.

Hi,
sorry, in Avast Premium Security it is Real Site in the Core Shields section.
And sorry it took so long for me to answer; please contact our support for something time critical.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek