Author Topic: Avast does not catch APPS 3.3 ID:pejhfhcoekcajgokallhmklcjkkeemgj  (Read 1356 times)

Offline William141

Spent an hour w/ Avast help arguing that APPS 3.3 extension on Chrome and Edge was a virus/malware or not. It is on my computer:
- it cannot be deleted (any conventional ways)
- computer says "Your browser is managed by your organization". What organization? This is my pc.
- sends me to different search engines than my default Google
- starts Amazon w/ quick diversions to dragonorders.com/xxxx and then clcktrck.com/xxxx before going to Amazon. This is occasional.

What else is it doing?

I had free version of Avast and somehow it got thru. Looked online and recommendations are to download another software and mess w/ registries. No thanks.

Upgraded to paid version of Avast and hoped money might get me some technical help, but...
Avast was agruing is was a part of Amazon, then Chrome and does not need to be removed. I show a website that APPS 3.3
"Apps 3.3 is a malicious browser extension that will redirect your browser search queries through shady search engines and display unwanted advertisements not originating from the sites you are browsing."
So it is not explicitly a virus/malware so it is not Avast responsibilty. WTF?
Avast says uninstall/reinstall Chrome. Did that but it comes back w/ all same stuff. Is there a deeper uninstall?
Avast says uninstall Edge. This cannot be done since it is part of Windows.
What is frustrating is the arguing for an hour about it and not acknowledging it is a virus that Avast should have caught.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 09:52:40 PM by William141 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline William141

Re: Avast does not catch APPS 3.3 ID:pejhfhcoekcajgokallhmklcjkkeemgj
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 03:46:00 AM »
Thanks DavidR. I saw those websites before.

I am not going to install another piece of software (HitmanPro, Rkill, Spyhunter, etc.)
Malwarebytes free version did not detect APPS.
Delete option not available in Manage Extensions.
APPS is not on list of programs to uninstall. Is it hiding as something that looks legitimate? I don't know.
Nothing in Apps & Features looked suspicious.
I did "Run commands to remove malicious policies from Windows" and nothing changed.
Did not see anything suspicious in Task Scheduler.
Did not see anything suspicious AppData\Roaming folder.
Deleted a suspicious folder named pejhfhcoekcajgokallhmklcjkkeemgj in AppData\Local....\Extensions. Nothing changed.
I Reset Settings in Chrome. Nothing changed.
I am not going to mess with the Registry. I am not that tech savy and don't want to brick my PC.

Basically, I would like Avast to
- acknowledge that APPS is a threat
- use their vast resources to find a way to eliminate it and
- release the fix to everybody.

Apparantly HitmanPro, Rkill, Spyhunter can get at pieces of APPS but not the whole thing in one step.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast does not catch APPS 3.3 ID:pejhfhcoekcajgokallhmklcjkkeemgj
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 12:51:40 PM »
unfortunately as an Avast user that is beyond my powers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security