Author Topic: New user questions  (Read 831 times)

Offline FJ10

New user questions
« on: May 15, 2023, 02:41:31 AM »
Hello,

I bought "Avast Premium Security" today. I have mixed feelings about it. I have been using the free version of Avast for many years, but now that I have the Premium version I wonder if it makes sense for me, since I use the Vivaldi web browser.

It seems like Avast does not support Vivaldi. Bank mode is not activated on this browser, it does not protect passwords... I have many questions, some of them are:

1) Does Avast protect me while I use the internet if it does not recognize my browser?

2) I use the Avast Online Security & Privacy extension on my Vivaldi browser, how does this compare to using the "Avast Secure Browser"? (I am askinkg this because Avast supports its own browser, and I am considering switching to it)

3) Is there any way to use Ecosia as the default search engine for the address bar of Avast Secure Browser?

Overall I am surprised that Avast supports very few internet browsers, that the Avast Secure Browser supports very few search engines, and I wonder if it makes sense for me to buy Avast Premium Security. Is Avast really protecting me while I use Vivaldi?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: New user questions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 03:30:56 AM »
1.  I'm unsure if you are talking about the Bank Mode only with Vivaldi web browser or browsing in general  ?
However, the Web Shield as far as I'm aware isn't browser specific so should also still protect against malware whilst using the Vivaldi web browser.

2.  The Avast Online Security & Privacy extension, doesn't offer the same functionality as the "Avast Secure Browser" as it is is a browser extension.   I use Firefox as my default browser and I don't use the Avast Online Security & Privacy extension with firefox. 

3.  I also haven't installed the "Avast Secure Browser" (ASB), mainly because it is a chromium based browser and I don't particularly like Google Chrome.  So I can't offer any personal insight on adding a search engine within the ASB.  This may or may not be the same as adding another search engine within the Chrome browser.  However being a Security based browser there are going to be limitations on what can be done/modified.

It may well be worth checking out the "Avast Secure Browser" for Windows sub-forum - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=122.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FJ10

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 12:53:17 PM »
1. I mean both. It seems clear to me that Avast does not protect my passwords while I use Vivaldi, and that it will also not activate its "Bank mode" on this browser. This leads me to questioning, up to what degree does Avast protect my browser while I surf the internet? You say that I still have the "Web shield" available because it is not browser-specific... but then, I think that the Web shield was already included in the free version of Avast... Therefore, what additional security have I gained for my browser by paying for the Premium version of Avast, if any? Or have I wasted my money until I switch to another browser?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 09:08:50 PM »
Bank mode is only available if you Have the Avast Secure Browser installed (which in itself isn't limited to Avast Premium) but it is limited to the number of Browsers it supports. 

I have been using Avast Free for almost 20 years and although it is limited in the components it has compared to Avast Premium I have never felt the need for those components.

For me the decision to purchase Avast Premium has to be based on the components it has, not purely for Bank mode.  https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/antivirus-faq/#pc

As as I said is available if I install the Avast Secure Browser in Avast Free), as far as I'm aware Firefox is also supported in Bank Mode, but currently not Vivaldi.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security