Author Topic: Avast tool service installed automatically  (Read 835 times)

Offline Pierogi

Avast tool service installed automatically
« on: May 21, 2023, 09:27:37 PM »
Hello. Today morning i've noticed that on a system boot Avast automatically installed a service called "Avast tools", adding the process called "aswToolsSvc.exe" to a task manager. Can someone explain to me what is it and how and why did it even happened? I haven't updated AV, or touching anything in it. Same can be said about my OS. I was just simply using it and such thing occured today. I can't even find anything under the words "avast tools" around the web, or even anything about how to uninstall this service. Has anyone experienced it too?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast tool service installed automatically
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 08:48:01 AM »
The service has been there for quite a few versions - and it's just related to internal re-organization of Avast code (it was decided that some functionality, previously inside AvastSvc.exe, would be better placed in a separate service, for various reasons).
However, I would really expect that a program update has happened on your machine, it cannot magically appear without an update. Well, the only other explanation I can think of is that your installation was somehow corrupted before (this service was missing), and the installer found out and triggered a "repair" - which created the new service.