Author Topic: Avast Free 23.5 creates new registry keys for safeprice plugin. - SOLVED/FIXED  (Read 10441 times)

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
Re: Avast Free 23.5 creates new registry keys for safeprice plugin.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2023, 05:37:17 PM »
News?!
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2023, 08:28:28 AM »
Can you give us an answer?  Will you fix this annoying bug as soon as possible?!

Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2023, 12:36:07 PM »
Can you give us an answer?  Will you fix this annoying bug as soon as possible?!

You already have the answer in this topic.

Hello, thank you for reporting. Good catch. We will fix it in next version.

Petr
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2023, 03:52:18 PM »

You already have the answer in this topic.

Hello, thank you for reporting. Good catch. We will fix it in next version.

Petr

That's not a direct answer to the new question, it's a previous statement which was then followed up on with a new question that has a counter proposal for the timeline to have something fixed.

Petr said "we'll fix it by x" when the problem was brought up. Several people have asked "can you fix it earlier than x?", to which he hasn't responded. If the answer is "no, we can't" or even "no, we won't" then he should at least answer so that people who haven't updated can just simply wait until the next version and stop checking, and the people who have already updated can roll back to a previous version and potentially fix their registry with a system restore or manual intervention, and it means everyone can stop checking this thread as we know it'll be roughly another month or so before this problem is fixed.

They should also post and pin a new thread, or update the current one that states this issue exists in bolded text, and I would also suggest they go as far to state on their main website that version 23.5 contains this issue and is being fixed, and offer a direct link to 23.4.

Doesn't seem like a lot to ask for. Seems like the bare minimum, actually. But maybe others feel different.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 03:55:48 PM by Dinobot2 »

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2023, 04:27:05 PM »
I would have expected a bug fix release before the next release.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2023, 07:28:50 PM »
I would have expected a bug fix release before the next release.

I would have to say that any bug fix would depend on its categorisation, I would say this is low on the scale of seriousness.  Yes others have also asked about speeding this up, but there has been no further input by Petr or any Avast Team member.  So posting five times on the same thing hasn't drawn a response

I will bow out now as it really is pointless giving an answer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2023, 09:39:06 PM »
I have to think it's not an accident or oversight. It makes Avast money, so they have every incentive to stall and ignore complaints.

Call me a cynic. It fits the pattern of intrusive and misleading upsells. Of the dark patterns used after every program update. With the tucked away opt-out data harvesting.

I really don't like this side of Avast.

Offline RedFan

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2023, 09:40:17 PM »
Fixed in next version = next month ???  :'(
Intel® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

Offline avast.20.hatty

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2023, 12:32:10 AM »
Well, DavidR estimates the priority of fixing this bug to be low.
He is allowed to have this opinion ;) and probably the decision makers of the company even agree with him.

I was satisfied with the features of Avast's antivirus software for a long time.
Over time, the ads for other proprietary features and programs became more and more annoying.

However, this last case (pop-up of browser window for self-promotion in connection with registration "pollution") is really too much.
Especially the arrogant and cynical way of dealing with customer complaints.

When something formerly good is no longer good, then the time comes when you have to let go.

Goodbye Avast, it WAS nice with you, but now you see me go.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 12:51:21 AM by avast.20.hatty »

Offline Asturias7

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2023, 02:48:46 AM »
I have to disagree when it comes to the “seriousness” of the bug and therefore the lack of a fix.
Anything that creates UNWANTED registry entries and, even worse, entries that are in Chinese is serious enough to address and fix ASAP.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2023, 03:10:22 AM »
I have to disagree when it comes to the “seriousness” of the bug and therefore the lack of a fix.
Anything that creates UNWANTED registry entries and, even worse, entries that are in Chinese is serious enough to address and fix ASAP.

I'm only an Avast User, but that was my guess (based on actions before on bug fix releases), someone at Avast doesn't consider the bug serious enough to warrant it being put into an emergency update schedule.

I'm at least surprised that this hasn't even made it into the beta release stream for correction/testing before a regular/emergency program update. I don't take part in the beta testing any more (but monitor the beta topics).

I have tried to attract some Avast attention in another sub-forum.

Offline Asturias7

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2023, 06:46:46 AM »

I'm only an Avast User, but that was my guess (based on actions before on bug fix releases), someone at Avast doesn't consider the bug serious enough to warrant it being put into an emergency update schedule.

I'm at least surprised that this hasn't even made it into the beta release stream for correction/testing before a regular/emergency program update. I don't take part in the beta testing any more (but monitor the beta topics).

I have tried to attract some Avast attention in another sub-forum.

I just hope SOMEONE, ANYONE is working on a fix and rolls it out to us ASAP.
Thanks for the reply and clarification.  8)

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2023, 07:07:02 AM »
I have to think it's not an accident or oversight. It makes Avast money, so they have every incentive to stall and ignore complaints.

Call me a cynic. It fits the pattern of intrusive and misleading upsells. Of the dark patterns used after every program update. With the tucked away opt-out data harvesting.

I really don't like this side of Avast.
That is nothing new, why you think they offer Free Antivirus? Nothing is Free, you just not pay by money, you are monitored and forced to see tons of pop-up adware. They know everything what you do in your PC and what you do online, even if you use encrypted https, because Avast decrypt it for "scanning". Those data can be sold for money and it was sold in the past. For example Avast "Jumpshot" company, which sold user data, now is closed.

I think browser add-ons are just another data harvesting tools, because they can be installed without Avast Antivirus.

Those chinese symbols in registry is just a bug, be realistic.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 07:31:50 AM by TheOwner »

Offline M53

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2023, 09:08:45 AM »
There is an easy fix to this problem until the next version drops: download/add Avast Safeprice plugin extension to your browser. Once installed, go to manage extensions and hit the DISABLE button for the Safeprice extension. On your next computer boot up, the extension will not popup when you open you browser to your homepage.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2023, 10:11:28 AM »
There is an easy fix to this problem until the next version drops: download/add Avast Safeprice plugin extension to your browser. Once installed, go to manage extensions and hit the DISABLE button for the Safeprice extension. On your next computer boot up, the extension will not popup when you open you browser to your homepage.
No thanks. I dont want install additional bloatware to my PC, is bloated enough by Windows 10 itself.