Author Topic: Can't update virus definition in Avast Premium Security  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Jamie2020

Can't update virus definition in Avast Premium Security
« on: June 02, 2023, 06:57:39 PM »
Hello, as the title says, today I noticed that my Avast Premium security would not allow me to update virus definitions. I get a warning saying that my virus definitions are not up to date, I click on the update button, but instead of updating as usual, it just keeps giving me the warning "Virus Definitions are not up to date" in red text.

Here's what I have tried:
1) I have made sure that the Avast Premium Security software itself is up to date (Status is green, saying the software is up to date)
2) I did a repair on the software itself, and there didn't seem to be any indication that the software itself was problematic. Or at least, I got no notifications that something was wrong.

What I haven't done is uninstall and reinstall Avast, because honestly, the last time I did that, I had to redo all of my settings, especially those relating to my Firewalls rules and exceptions, and that's even after I made a backup that supposedly should've restored my settings. I don't trust the software's ability to restore the fine details I set up for my rules, because it didn't the last time.

So short of actually uninstalling and reinstalling the software, what are my options? Is this something anyone else experienced?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't update virus definition in Avast Premium Security
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 10:23:42 PM »
If you ever decide to do a reinstall, First Save your Settings - Avast UI > Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > scroll down to Backup Your Settings.

When reinstalled Restore Settings, see attached image.

Before doing that have try tried restarting your system (and see if that works)  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Jamie2020

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 06:55:21 AM »
If you ever decide to do a reinstall, First Save your Settings - Avast UI > Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > scroll down to Backup Your Settings.

When reinstalled Restore Settings, see attached image.

Before doing that have try tried restarting your system (and see if that works)  ?

As I mentioned above, I did a backup the last time I reinstalled, and it didn't save my settings related to firewall rules and exceptions. Which is why I am reluctant to resort to reinstalling the software. And I also did a restart of my systems several times as well.

So no one else is experiencing this? Is there no solution beside reinstalling the software?

Btw, I also noticed in several other posts that some people seem to have already installed version 23.5. Meanwhile, when I press the update button on my Avast Premium Security, the latest version it gives me access to is 23.4.6062 build 23.4.8118.783.

Might this be related to my problem? Why don't I have access to the newer version if it's supposed to be automatically updated?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 07:01:29 AM by Jamie2020 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 12:51:39 PM »
As an Avast User and on the rare occasions I have used the backup and restore settings it has worked as expected.

I'm also only using Avast Free not Premium and even in the Free version I don't use the Avast Firewall, so I can't speak from personal experience.

So far I haven't seen any other posts like yours not being able to update the virus signatures.

Quote from: Jamie2020
Btw, I also noticed in several other posts that some people seem to have already installed version 23.5. Meanwhile, when I press the update button on my Avast Premium Security, the latest version it gives me access to is 23.4.6062 build 23.4.8118.783.

I suspect that this update may have been stopped by Avast (unconfirmed), based on some unexpected issues with it - reported in this topic https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=323896.0

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Jamie2020

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 02:03:35 PM »
One of the things I noticed just now when I was going through the settings pages, is that the virus definition update that is currently installed in my PC seems to be the same as the one in the update page, refer to the images below:

As you can see, it says that the Virus Definition that I have installed is version 230526-4.

Does that mean that the warning I got was false warning, and that the virus definition is actually up to date?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:02:51 AM by Jamie2020 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 03:22:03 PM »
It is preferred to attach images to posts, many won't visit 3rd party sites to view.

But if you have the latest VPS Update, then it is likely an issue with incorrectly reporting it is out of date and usually a Repair is the suggested remedy, but you say you have tried that, but have you done a system restart after that ?

Generally even if reported as out of date you should also be getting the Streaming Updates to keep the VPS fully up to date.

Offline Jamie2020

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 09:06:39 AM »
It is preferred to attach images to posts, many won't visit 3rd party sites to view.
... but have you done a system restart after that ?

Generally even if reported as out of date you should also be getting the Streaming Updates to keep the VPS fully up to date.

Yes, as I already mentioned above, I've done several system restarts. If this doesn't resolve itself I may resort to reinstalling and fingers crossed, the backup I made would actually keep my settings.

Just out of curiosity, do people from Avast actually ever look at the forums or provide inputs directly?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 12:52:04 PM »
They did in the very first reply in the link I gave you in reply#3 above yesterday.

Offline Jamie2020

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 10:45:29 AM »
They did in the very first reply in the link I gave you in reply#3 above yesterday.

Good to know.
In my Avast Premium Security there is a feature where I can send either a bug report or feedback on an issue. I used it to report on this issue, but those kind of reporting tend to be pretty much one-sided with no replies, so I don't know if I'll be getting any kind of response.

Meanwhile, my problem persist, and I'm a month away from deciding whether to renew or not.