Author Topic: Keep Avast for Mac in background?  (Read 12580 times)

scooby2

Keep Avast for Mac in background?
« on: January 10, 2008, 12:09:12 AM »
Is there anyway to keep Avast running in the background and not have any of the UI's running? I tried turning off persistence but then I did not see Avast running.

Thank you,
Scooby2

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Keep Avast for Mac in background?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:34:41 AM »
You can hide the avast GUI heres how:

With the GUI Open either press Command and H (command key is the apple key)

or click avast in the menu bar and choose hide avast antivirus

Then when you want to see the GUI again just click the avast icon in the Dock.

Hope it helps  :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:36:30 AM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »
Is there anyway to keep Avast running in the background and not have any of the UI's running? I tried turning off persistence but then I did not see Avast running.

Thank you,
Scooby2

Yes, hiding can be chosen by pressing Command-H (Or Windows-H, for PCish keyb users), or using avast!'s menu item, as :Mac: stated.

The current version will pop its GUI after startup anyway (for more reasons), but the very next one will contain dedicated hide-mode in preferences (because, for example, hiding from startup items is broken on 10.4.x etc., so in general it would be better when app controls the visibility on its own).

PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

scooby2

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:22:35 PM »
Would you need to do that every boot up? Also when I open my macbook from sleep it tries to go out and check for updates. Sometimes the wifi is not setup yet so it errors.

I am considering this for our employees mac laptops but trying to make it is not going to cause more of a hassle.

Thanks

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »
Would you need to do that every boot up? Also when I open my macbook from sleep it tries to go out and check for updates. Sometimes the wifi is not setup yet so it errors.

I am considering this for our employees mac laptops but trying to make it is not going to cause more of a hassle.

Thanks

As Pavel said the next version will have a Hide-Mode but for now you will need to do it on each boot under Tiger (10.4.xx)

I see your point on the Wi-Fi issue however here is a tip: you can set the update interval to a longer period (like every 6-8 hours or once a day) and you will not get the error every time you wake from sleep
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:32:17 PM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »

Thanks
I see your point on the Wi-Fi issue however here is a tip: you can set the update interval to a longer period (like every 6-8 hours or once a day) and you will not get the error every time you wake from sleep

Yes, or, for a laptop that's used occassionally, You can turn the automatic update off. Then update manually on demand by clicking that "Check Update" button. But, anyway, in the next version, we'd like to make it less annoying for users that want avast! sitting silently somewhere in background all the time...

PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)