Author Topic: avast! for Mac crash  (Read 17197 times)

blueatria

avast! for Mac crash
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:24:26 AM »
I have downloaded the trial version and I am trying to do a scan of my home directory. avast says there are about 290,000 files to scan and off it goes. About half way through the scan there is a crash. Crash reporter is sending the report to apple.

here is  the contents of the report. Any idea on what is wrong? This happens every time I run the scan. I am running a Macbook Pro C2D with 3GB ram Mac OS X 10.5.1 with any applicable updates installed. I am a long time user of avast for windows and even though I am not sure that I really need av on osx it is useful to not send viruses on to other people in windows land.

attached is the crash report.

ps.  it would be useful if you could attach files ending in .crash as in crash logs for OSX.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: avast! for Mac crash
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:50:43 PM »
Hallo, thanks for the report.

We're ready to fix this ASAP, but, unfortunately, these crashlog informations aren't sufficient to reproduce the crash (on our machines). Please, could You perform the steps below to provide more details about the flaw? Note that this is a fully generic scenario for all these cases:

0) Please give us info about Your machine/system:
- open a Terminal Utility, and execute: system_profiler >~/sp.log
- send us the sp.log file

1) Identify the file that causes the crash (assuming that this is a deterministic crash on a particular file):
- as common user (not root) open a Terminal Utility, and execute: defaults write com.avast.MacAvast MADLogRedirection ~/mad.log
- in Avast!, choose "Quit avast! antivirus and Agent"
- restart the application and try to scan the problematic area again (~/mad.log should start growing)
- after crash, look into the mad.log what files were scanned right before it crashed
- restart Avast! and try to scan their parent (or even higher) directory next time (it should crash again in a while now)
- - if so, restart Avast!, open Terminal Utility and execute: telnet -u ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.avast.MacAvast/socket (you should see 220 DAEMON Welcome... banner-message)
- - if TRIAL is zero, load the license first: LICENSE PATH path_to_Your_license_file (otherwise skip this step)
- - type SCAN path_to_the_parent_directory_of_problematic_file (the connection will get closed by dying daemon)
-- the last line seen, without the
  • 0.0, is probably the culprit-file (verify it by another restart & scan attempt, or try the subsequent file)

- send us the file, if possible

That's all for now, in case that these steps won't lead to the cause, additional steps will be given :).

Regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

blueatria

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:00:45 AM »
OK, I have found it to be a file or directory in iTunes. i have sent you the files. Interesting procedure  :P

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:29:00 AM »
OK, I have found it to be a file or directory in iTunes. i have sent you the files. Interesting procedure  :P

May I ask what file(s) your found? Ive Scanned iTunes.app and the iTunes folder in the /Library directory
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:50:06 PM »

Yes, and it yielded interesting result too:
- after unzipping the zipped file that you have sent to me ... the resulting directory was OK on both PPC/Intel on 10.5.1
- after unzipping the inner zip too, the flaw occured in the unzipped contents, but on x86 platform only (!)

Finally, bug was found and will be fixed in the very next release. The cause was an internal interference between former Win32 and newer MacOS #define.
This fix is also valid for all people that complained about non-deterministic progress-freezing (without crash) during scan.

For those who can't wait for the very next release, here's the fix:
- download this zipped file: http://public.avast.com/~cimbal/md69.zip
- quit avast! from menu using "Quit avast! antivirus and Agent"
- replace com.avast.MacAvast.MAD in your /Applications/avast\!.app/Contents/Resources with the unzipped file
- run avast! and verify that the tooltip in left upper corner (over VPS xxxx-x) shows "Engine version: 0.0.69"
- check whether the bug is gone, and let me know

Thanks for your bugreport and support, Eric.

Regards,
PC
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:41:10 PM by zilog »
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

blueatria

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:39:00 AM »
Thanks very much for the fix. The scan works great now.