Author Topic: OneNote cannot sync (Error code: 0xE000006B b6d09)  (Read 13168 times)

Offline Jon40

Re: OneNote cannot sync (Error code: 0xE000006B b6d09)
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2023, 05:19:22 PM »
Don't know if this helps but I installed AVG and have the same issue with Onenote sync. I understand AVG and Avast are part of the same group so perhaps using same software?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2023, 05:43:21 PM »
Don't know if this helps but I installed AVG and have the same issue with Onenote sync. I understand AVG and Avast are part of the same group so perhaps using same software?

Underlying code under a different skin is in essence the same.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Jon40

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2023, 01:06:08 PM »
@jindrichk

You said " - create a support package (https://support.avast.com/en-eu/article/Submit-support-file#pc) and post the ID here. It can be easily done from our product (Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > Send Logs button)."

I tried to do this for you but couldn't find the send logs button.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2023, 01:44:52 PM »
I think this is because it looks like the UI appears to have changed.

This I guess would be the 'Record a performance problem' and Open Recorder and it gathers the data.
Again I'm guessing that it would send the logs or after running the Recorder there would be some means of sending the logs (and letting you know the unique ID of them to report here in the forums).

Hopefully jindrichk will get back to the topic soon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Jon40

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2023, 03:11:14 PM »

This I guess would be the 'Record a performance problem' and Open Recorder and it gathers the data.
Again I'm guessing that it would send the logs or after running the Recorder there would be some means of sending the logs (and letting you know the unique ID of them to report here in the forums).

I wondered about that but the Create Log switch is still there separately. I have spent a lot of time on this already so will see what jindrichk say but thanks for suggestion

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2023, 07:47:46 PM »

I wondered about that but the Create Log switch is still there separately. I have spent a lot of time on this already so will see what jindrichk say but thanks for suggestion

You're welcome.

Offline Jon40

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2023, 12:07:35 PM »
I got bored waiting for responses on this and bored with turning shields off every few hours to sync changes - replaced Avast with Bitdefender and it works fine with OneNote.

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2023, 06:10:14 PM »
I hate this isn't solved so long. Avast Software s.r.o. knows about the bug since July 19, that is 56 days.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 06:18:17 PM by Paul Blueberry »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2023, 09:07:57 AM »
We're not happy about it either... thing is, as JindrichK was trying to explain, the issue simply doesn't reproduce on our systems.
We received one support package (it was from kpi I guess?) - however, it seemed the debug logging wasn't enabled before reproducing the issue so the logs didn't show anything (of course, there's no 100% guarantee that they would if it had been).

So I'd suggest anybody who has this issue to follow Jindrich's post; hopefully the logs will reveal something. Of course we're hoping we'll be able to reproduce it eventually (which would most likely make it easy to fix)... but so far we've been unsuccessful.

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2023, 11:48:00 PM »
So, the debug logs can be not enough? I suggest, you find a colleague in the company, who uses OneNote and Avast, and experiences the problem.
It's strange, that not all people have the bug. Maybe company Microsoft accounts don't have this bug, but only home users.

Anyway, thank you for your efforts so far.

Offline Filip22

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2023, 10:02:59 AM »
Hi! This problem with OneNote not syncing is a major problem, I'm sure, for a lot of users. I'm using OneNote on a daily basis and has been using Avast since a cupple of months or so. By now the issue with Sync failures and having to switch of the anti virus manualy and reboot OneNote every time I am to sync is just making the workflow too slow and unsafe. This is an unacceptable feature for a premium antivirus, I would say - definitely a deal breaker in my case.

So, any updates on this issue with OneNote sync failure? Or is the only option to change antivirus program for those of us who are using OneNote on a daily basis?

Offline Paul Blueberry

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2023, 01:00:09 PM »
Avast Free Antivirus updated itself a few days ago. The bug is still present in version 23.9.6082 (build 23.9.8494.796).

As of today, Avast Software s.r.o. has known about the bug for 76 days, at least since their July 19 reply. You can recalculate the number of days by entering a white space into this online program: Avast OneNote bug age calculator. It will recompile itself, and refresh the output. A few Avast updates came out since they know about the bug, but they don't fix it. Send them a support package with Enable debug logging as they asked in that reply. Maybe then they will work faster...

Offline vj99

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2023, 06:41:59 PM »
Same problem here.  It's cost me a ton of critical notes because I switched between two laptops (one now wiped) and I didn't notice it wasn't syncing.  I place HUGE blame on Microsoft for not making these sync issues more obvious, but it's also really disappointing to now find all of these reports here and elsewhere that haven't been resolved.  Turning off HTTPS scanning has me working for now, but I'm looking at other AV options until I know this has been fixed so I can have full protection enabled.

Offline galfert

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2023, 08:19:37 PM »
Hopefully I've been able to send proper Avast logs reproducing this error.

I think the critical key points in reproducing this error is to ensure the following.
  • Avast Web Sheild is turned on with HTTPS scanning enabled.
  • Run the new full version of OneNote, and not the OneNote for Windows 10 version.
  • Open a OneNote Notebook that is saved in OneDrive with OneDrive logged in and running.
  • Attempt to make some changes to a OneNote online Notebook and watch it try to sync the changes.

To see the error in the OneNote full application you right click on a Notebook and select the Notebook Sync Status and then hit the Sync Now button. Watch the error in this sync window. I suggest making changes to OneNote in browser instance of OneNote (or on a mobile) and see how the changes don't come into the OneNote full application.

In the meantime while we wait for this to be resolved one can keep Web Sheild enabled and only turn off its HTTPS scanning option. At least then you still get the benefit of the other Web Sheild protections, albeit that HTTPS scanning is a pretty critical one to have to disable.

To Avast Support,
Let me know if you want me to post my Avast logs file upload File ID here.

Hopefully this can finally be resolved.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 09:26:35 PM by galfert »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2023, 10:01:34 PM »
galfert: Yes, please post the File ID here so that the developers can look it up.