Author Topic: Ransomware shield doesn't protect files previously deleted and restored  (Read 600 times)

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
So I was testing my Ransomware shield by placing it on Strict Mode, and when I delete a file from my Documents folder (which is protected) it would, as expected, ask for further permission to delete the file. But one thing I notice is that if I place my shield on Smart mode, delete a file, restore it, then place the shield on Strict mode and try to delete that same file, it lets me with no issues. When I try to delete a different file, it will block and ask for permission. I then try the same thing with that second file, it allows me to delete it and prevents me from deleting a third file. I assume this would continue with each new added file in the experiment.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a bug or a feature of the Ransomware shield? Is there a way to make it so that all files are protected regardless of whether I deleted it or restored it?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 04:37:50 PM by Dinobot2 »

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Re: Ransomware shield doesn't protect files previously deleted and restored
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 05:18:17 AM »
Ok, so it looks like after a restart, the record of sorts of what was deleted and restored resets, and those previously deleted and restored files become protected again. They then become unprotected on Strict mode when you delete and restore even under Smart mode, and then reset again after that restart.

So, that is a bit more reassuring, but still kind of an odd thing. I obviously won't be deleting and immediately restoring folders and files just for kicks, so the risk here is still very low.

Would still be curious if this is the case for anyone else.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 04:38:36 PM by Dinobot2 »