Author Topic: Outbound rule to allow virus definition updates through windows defender  (Read 594 times)

Offline italianomastermind

What outbound rule do I set to allow virus definition updates through Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security?
I have Windows Defender set to block everything except what I specify. It was easy enough to set an outbound rule to allow the program part of Avast to update by allowing ashUpd.exe and AvEmUpdate.exe but I cannot for the life of me get the virus definitions to update. I've set a rule allowing pretty much every .exe in the folder C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
When a 3rd party antivirus is installed Windows Defender is disabled by Windows.  When that antivirus includes a Firewall then windows should also disable the Windows Firewall.

I don't use the Avast firewall component and updates virus definitions happen just fine.  The AvEmUpdate.exe isn't the virus definitions update as such but checking to see if there any Emergency Updates for the program.

Are you getting any errors displayed to the screen and if so what ?
What does Avast's About Avast say the virus definitions version is ?
If you do a manual virus definitions update does that work ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security