Author Topic: Firewall?  (Read 6195 times)

Vaganzza

Firewall?
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:28:34 AM »
Is it useful to install a extra firewall? Or is the windows-firewall more than enough? If it isn't what firewall can work with avast & Superantispyware? I did search on this forum and I installed "Comodo" but than my pc didn't work properly anymore... I had to deïnstall it. I installed the latest version Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 (32 bit version, I couldn't install 64 bit version).

skysecret

Re: Firewall?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:28:59 PM »
comodo V3 firewall not conflict to avast!  at least i don't find any problem

I had been used them from V3 issued to last week.

But i had uninstall comodo v3 firewall at last week because i believe avast! is wonderful with xp systemic firewall .Another reason is comodo v3 firewall affect my net speed ,although somebody don't think so.

If you had a good manner in internet ,avast! and xp oneself firewall suit to home consumer.

Of course , i will recommend comodo v3 firewall if you want a firewall except systemic firewall,because it's Advanced+ is great.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:33:54 PM by skysecret »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »
Are you using XP or Vista, 32 or 64 bits?
I really doubt the 32 version will work well on the 64 OS version, if this is the case.
Personal Firewall Tests & Results. Firewall rating:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/results.php
About the leak tests limitations: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29259.msg247460#msg247460

Freeware firewalls:
http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests_overview.php
http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml
The best things in life are free.

Vaganzza

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 05:16:31 PM »
I am using XP and I think it is the 32 bits version (I tried to install the 64 bits version and it wasn't possible). I could install the 32 bits version but than my pc was really slow.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 05:55:22 PM »
I am using avast pro & Superantispyware and the latest comodo 3 with vista home premium and no problem, web surfing speedy, and startup good, I have four thing runnig in avast. I had a problem with pc tools delaying in startup and nod32 antivirus conflict with comodo.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:02:27 PM »
I tried to install the 64 bits version and it wasn't possible
I don't have even to try... it won't be possible. It's not programmed to be possible.

I could install the 32 bits version but than my pc was really slow.
Any other security program installed? It shouldn't have that much impact, but if you're saying the computer is really slow, you can try keeping only the Windows Firewall and uninstall Comodo to test.

Vaganzza

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:32:58 PM »
I could install the 32 bits version but than my pc was really slow.
Any other security program installed? It shouldn't have that much impact, but if you're saying the computer is really slow, you can try keeping only the Windows Firewall and uninstall Comodo to test.

I uninstalled Comodo and now my computer is now as before. I have installed Avast 4.7 Pro, Superantispyware and Panda Anti-Rootkit. Maybe I should try again to install Comodo Version 3 in 32 bits version. I keep it updated here ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »
Maybe I should try again to install Comodo Version 3 in 32 bits version.
You could test indeed... it shouldn't be that bad, on contrary, runs very well in a lot of systems.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 06:39:58 PM »
please make sure that you disable windows-firewall before using the other, I have aways been told its not good to have both running

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 06:41:13 PM »
I have aways been told its not good to have both running
Sure, you're right.

Vaganzza

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »
please make sure that you disable windows-firewall before using the other, I have aways been told its not good to have both running

I didn't disable the windows firewall. I test it right now.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 07:09:19 PM »
Many firewalls will disable the Windows firewall when they are installed.  ZoneAlarm & PC Tools Firewall Plus disable Windows firewall.

I recommend PC Tools Firewall Plus.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »
PC Tools Firewall Plus is a good firewall I use it after I got vista and had a problem of delaying startup for some on us so I always use comodo and to me its better, you can set rules, just my opinion

Vaganzza

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
Problem solved! I had to disable the windows firewall first. Thanks a lot guys!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »
Thanks a lot guys!
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help you just to change experiences 8)