Author Topic: Can't Access Screensaver Settings  (Read 10449 times)

Amerk_5

Can't Access Screensaver Settings
« on: May 15, 2003, 02:08:11 AM »
I'm using v4.0.211 & the screensaver works but after changing the screensaver in the settings for Avastss to Blank Screen I can no longer get into the settings for Avastss. I tried using the Repair option in Add/Remove but that didn't fix it. Also, I'm running Win98SE
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 11:52:54 PM by Amerk_5 »

jannuh

Re:Can't Access Screensaver Settings
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 04:46:43 PM »
Hi,
Had same problem, but after updating yesterday 14/05, this problem was solved.

Amerk_5

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 11:56:36 PM »
In v4.0.202 Avastss didn't work at all. In v4.0.211 Avastss works but b/c the Blank Screen screensaver doesn't have any settings I can no longer get into Avastss settings.

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 10:53:54 AM »
Amerk_5 is right, build 202 contained bug that disallowed to start screen saver of avast! In currently available version (build 211) this is bug is solved.

So you are using build 202 update your avast! - best way to do that is to use iAVS service available in program menu.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 11:52:37 AM »
Amerk_5, is your problem specific for "Blank Screen" only?

Additionally, what does it mean that you "can no longer get into the settings for Avastss"? Is the "Settings" button disabled or it crashes when you press it or... ?
What happens when you change the screensaver to something else?

Amerk_5

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 04:04:45 PM »
Amerk_5, is your problem specific for "Blank Screen" only?

Additionally, what does it mean that you "can no longer get into the settings for Avastss"? Is the "Settings" button disabled or it crashes when you press it or... ?
What happens when you change the screensaver to something else?

I think the problem is for "Blank Screen" only. When I press the Settings button for "Avastss" the mouse cursor is active for a few seconds & then nothing happens. Nothing freezes up. When I change the screensaver to something else besides "Avastss" the screensaver works normally.

When I updated to v4.0.211 & the default screensaver in the "Avastss" settings was "Curves & Colors" I had no problem getting into the Settings for "Avastss." I'm sure this has something to do with "Blank Screen" not having any settings so, somehow "Avastss" is reading the 'No Settings' of "Blank Screen."

Is there an *.ini file somewhere that holds the settings for "Avastss", where I could change the screensaver that "Avastss" uses?

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 02:26:33 PM »
So with update to build 211 your problem has disappeared, has not?

avast! stores settings of screen saver task in data/avast4.mdb or data/avast4.xml file (which one is used on your system depends on your INI file settings, see Database key of your data/avast4.ini).

If you are using XML storage you can view settings of avast! tasks simply with any text editor - avast4.xml is a text file. Look for <RealScreenSaver> tag in it.

To view content of avast4.mdb you must use MS Access or another database client that can connect to that file using some standard way (ODBC, OLE DB, ...). There is table called Properties and there should be record with RealScreenSaver name in it. It holds name of screen saver.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 02:27:47 PM by Roman Svihalek »

Amerk_5

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 04:48:52 PM »
The problem started when the screensaver was fixed in build 211 & I started playing around with the settings. Before that I never bothered with the avast screensaver.

That's the file I was looking for, avast4.mdb, the one that holds the screensaver settings. I tried opening it but couldn't because it was in use so here's what I did. I disabled avast from starting up, rebooted, deleted avast4.mdb, renabled avast at start up & rebooted. Now I can get back into the avastss settings.

The problem was after choosing "Blank Screen" as the screensaver in avastss, clicking on Settings in the main screensaver window wouldn't do anything. I'd click on it & the mouse cursor would be active for a few seconds & then nothing would happen. I'm sure it's because "Blank Screen" doesn't have any settings. I hope there's a way to fix it so I can have "Blank Screen" as my screensaver in avastss & still be able to access the settings.

Thanks Roman.