Author Topic: Windows 10 "Potentially unwanted app blocking"  (Read 739 times)

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Windows 10 "Potentially unwanted app blocking"
« on: October 14, 2023, 02:12:44 AM »
I was going through my Windows Security settings, and noticed this was off. I did some research and found that Windows started enabling this be default in 2021, but mine was off. However, it still allows me to turn this on even with Avast enabled (Avast blocks out Windows Defender real-time from being enabled). So i'm wondering whether if this can/should be turned on even with using Avast and having Potentially unwanted program notifications on in Avast. Because either

1. You can and it is a good supplemental tool alongside Avast
2. You can but it's redundant and doesn't provide any other benefit or
3. It interferes with Avast's Behaviour shield or other functionality and shouldn't be on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows 10 "Potentially unwanted app blocking"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 02:38:57 AM »
Well it isn't Avast that blocks out Defender. It is windows itself that does that as it does with other AVs when installed.

So I don't know if this would be part of that Action by Windows.

I also don't know if this related to (low-reputation apps) from the Windows App store - I would have hoped that they would be checked by MS before allowing them into the App Store.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 02:55:35 AM »
I'm specifically referring to the area circled in red. That is off and that specifically scans stuff that is already on your computer or about to be put onto your computer. One of those sub settings, I think the "Block downloads" blocks stuff that you downloaded in Edge, where as the other one blocks out stuff that you're about to install if you downloaded using another browser.

Just want to know if I should leave it off for the reasons stated above.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 02:58:52 AM by Dinobot2 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 10:34:00 AM »
I didn't think anything else.

I stated that it is probably off because of the same reasons Windows disables the AV and Firewall components when you install a 3rd party AV and Firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 11:40:09 PM »
Well, what's interesting is that when you uninstall Avast, Windows doesn't turn that on the same way it turns on Defender's real-time shield.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 01:49:35 AM »
Well, what's interesting is that when you uninstall Avast, Windows doesn't turn that on the same way it turns on Defender's real-time shield.

Whilst that could be a default setting.
You really need to confirm where these apps are coming from (as I mentioned before from the Windows App store).  That in itself could impact the web and file shields, file shield and perhaps the behaviour shield.  One thing for sure at least one of them could interact negatively with Avast. 

So if Avast doesn't change this setting and Windows doesn't enable it by default.  This really needs to be asked of in the Microsoft area, as we are only guessing what exactly it does.

But I think you are going down another rabbit hole in adding more security based functions, when we don't really know exactly what they do and what its interaction with Avast may be