Author Topic: today's new definitions (231207-2)  (Read 1968 times)

Offline info230

Re: today's new definitions (231207-2)
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2023, 09:05:54 PM »
Dinobot2.  Thanks for your reply.      Yes the issue was the red warning sign saying the virus definitions were not up to date,  this has happened 3 times in the last two weeks.  When I get the red warning,   running check for updates in the interface did not give me any updates and it did not rectify it automatically.  I have the interface set to Automatically update my virus definitions but as I get the red cross on the Avast icon in task bar, it stays there with the warning in the interface even after running check for updates,  this does not seem to be working.   I had the red warning saying I am not protected again today so I manually updated it from the Avast download updates page in the link,  this is the only way I can update them. Today I got a different version number to yesterday when I done this.  I am going to leave it now and see how long it takes to get another red warning saying virus definitions are out of date  then I'll know the interface automatic updates isnt working as it should.   I have fast start up disabled and when I fully shut down latop earlier then powered up from cold,  no automatic updates happened and I still got the red warning.

https://www.avast.com/download-update#pc   

I have streaming updates ticked green so that is enabled but I am not familiar with them and how they work.   

My Laptop is HDD.   I will start using sleep during the day as there is a few hours between each time I need to use it and only fully shut it down at the start and the end of the day.  It only takes a minute to boot up with fast start up diasbled.

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2023, 04:01:45 AM »
So I take it disabling fast startup hasn't fixed your issue with definitions update?

Have you tried just uninstalling and re-installing Avast? You shouldn't be having issues with keeping your definitions up to date like this.

Offline info230

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2023, 09:12:57 AM »
Yes,  in the last two weeks I have completelky uninstalled Avast Premium and reinstalled and still the same problem exists.  Each time after awhile I red a red warning on the task bar icon saying my laptoo is unprotected and then when I look in the interface Menu > settings > updates,    it tells me my virus definitions are out of date.  Then I ran check for updates in the interface which has not fixed it.  After running this check for updates,  it tells me they are up to date but I still have the notice in red telling me they are not.  Hence I searched on line and found the Avast download updates in the link I've added to do it manually that way and that works.  Someone else here has been having the same problem so it isnt just me.  I am going to leave off manually updating even when there is no red notice and see how long it takes to see if I get a notice to say virus definitions are out of date and will leave fast start up disabled and if I get a red warning then I will know that hasnt made a difference.   

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2023, 09:32:24 PM »
Try running a repair from Apps & features, and see if that fixes it, and then even after a repair try not manually updating. Perhaps something will be fixed in the next update.

Otherwise, I would consider cancelling your Premium subscription and using another AV or just rolling with Windows Defender. At this point I don't know what's wrong with your computer that is preventing you from getting updates properly. You can try running an elevated command prompt and running a DISM Restore health command and then an sfc /scannow command (you can google those to see what they are and how to do them), but otherwise you might be better off just not using Avast.