Author Topic: Avast can't update  (Read 4057 times)

El

Avast can't update
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:01:57 AM »
Hello,

IE has stopped working on this computer (it only works in safe mode), and since then, I can't update Avast.  FF works just fine. It seems that Avast is trying to update via IE, because it keeps telling me that it can't connect.  Is there any way to get it to update, while IE is not working?  Because there's not much use in having Avast, if I can't update it! I'm using Avast Pro (if that makes any difference).

El

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast can't update
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »
avast does not update through IE. avast uses port 80 (normal http traffic) to update.
Which firewall do you use? Which is your Windows? Is your computer clean (not infected)? Why does IE stop working?
The best things in life are free.

El

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:39:02 PM »
It seems that IE also uses port 80.  I have no idea why IE stopped working. I can't remember doing anything. It works in safe mode.  I'm currently trying to solve the problem.
I was using a trial version of Symantec Internet Security, but since that expired, I'm using the windows firewall. I'm working on Vista Home Edition.  I've scanned the computer with AVG antispyware, and only found the usual tracking cookies, which I always delete.  I'm currently scanning with avast (if it finds anything unupdated!)
I'm not sure what can still be blocking IE (I've deactivated and deinstalled a large majority of the programs, including all the protection programs), but whatever it is, it seems to be blocking port 80 (I have no idea what Mozilla uses). Dreamweaver also won't connect.

El

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »
I was using a trial version of Symantec Internet Security, but since that expired, I'm using the windows firewall. I'm working on Vista Home Edition.
Remove Symantec products through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Boot.

El

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:21:29 PM »
Norton was the problem.  IE is up and running again, and so is everything else. Thanks for the link!  Seems to be a common problem that one can't completely de-install Symantec products.  They even have to develop a product to remove their own programs  ;).

I'm glad that's solved. I'm still curious, though, if one can get Avast to connect, if port 80 is not available.

El

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 06:14:53 PM »
I'm glad that's solved. I'm still curious, though, if one can get Avast to connect, if port 80 is not available.
WebShield scans the traffic on port 80 (default).
avast connects at port 80 to update.
Without this port, no connection.

Glad you're clean from Symantec leftovers...