Author Topic: Incorrect version showing Avast Home instead of Avast Pro  (Read 7601 times)

billshk

Incorrect version showing Avast Home instead of Avast Pro
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:57:26 PM »
I have a Vista machine (Vista Ultimate) that was running Avast Free Home addition - it ran fine. Yesterday I purchased the Avast Pro Family Pack with a 3 year license. I installed the WHS version on my WHS machine with no problems.

I then installed the Pro version on 3 XP machines with no problems either. The problem was installing Pro on my Vista machine.

I had un installed the free Home version I was running and rebooted. I then installed the Pro version and installed the license ok. Here is where I see a problem though:

The blue icon in the system tray shows up but if I click 'About Avast' on the Vista machine it shows:
'avast! version 4.7 Home Edition'
All the xp machines show:
'avast! version 4.7 Professional Edition'
On Vista, if I click the avast Antivirus icon on my desktop it starts avast Pro and the 'about avast' shows it as pro from here. There seems to be an issue with the one that is loaded into the system tray because it looks like its running all the home version of the providers (based on the green bar instead of blue bar when thy start)

Both about avast screens show all the same info including the Build : Dec2007 (4.7.1098) except the autoloaded system tray shows home instead of pro. I also see the old home version of my outlook provider when I start up outlook.

Any idea why this is happening? Is there any more information that you need?

I uninstalled and reinstalled pro 3 times with no luck.

Bill

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Incorrect version showing Avast Home instead of Avast Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:08:20 PM »
I uninstalled and reinstalled pro 3 times with no luck.
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the last version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

billshk

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »
First of all, thanks for the help.
After doing exactly what you recommended it still acted the same way. When I reinstalled it and then did the reboot I noticed that the first splash screen that comes up when its rebooting says
Welcome to Avast Home Edition and has all kinds of info about upgrading to professional if you need/want better protection.

Here is the funny part, when I run the Anti Virus scan it appears to be the pro version no matter if I run it from the desktop icon or the system tray icon. The differences that I saw were the following:

1) Initial splash screen after install said its Home Edition.
2) About screen from system tray icon says its Home Edition.
3) About screen from Anti-Virus screen says Pro no matter where I run it from (system tray or desktop icon).
4) Registration number is the same no matter what version it says.
5) WHS console avast tab shows the version on this vista pc as pro.
6) Not sure what version of the MS Exchange plug in its running but its green so I assume its the home version since home was green and pro was blue.
7) Right clicking the system tray icon gives links to Pro Edition info and also to upgrade to Pro Edition.

Am I right about the colors on the screens as far as green for Home and blue for Pro because when I look at the On-Access Protection Control it has the green colored bar but does not say if its home or pro but the anti-virus has a blue bar and says its pro??

It does not appear to be any problems with the way its working but I would like there to be no doubt in my mind that Vista knows it the pro version and is running it as if its the pro version. Let me know if you need any more info.

Bill

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »
When I reinstalled it and then did the reboot I noticed that the first splash screen that comes up when its rebooting says
Welcome to Avast Home Edition and has all kinds of info about upgrading to professional if you need/want better protection.
When you reinstalled...
But before or after you've add the registry key?

It's impossible! I mean, are you inserting the right registry key?
The registration data is stored in value "RegData" of the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ALWIL Software\Avast\4.0
However it's in an encrypted form. You have to had access permission in registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Alwil Software\Avast\4.0" key.

Again, I'm only used to PC version, not WHS.

billshk

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »
When I reinstalled it and then did the reboot I noticed that the first splash screen that comes up when its rebooting says
When you reinstalled...
But before or after you've add the registry key?

This screen came up before I added the registry key. Plus, the registry key is inserted by the WHS and that works. I also double checked all my XP's and they are correct and they had avast installed the same way this Vista pc had avast installed. This is a 10 user license for the pro version.

It's impossible! I mean, are you inserting the right registry key?
The registration data is stored in value "RegData" of the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ALWIL Software\Avast\4.0
However it's in an encrypted form. You have to had access permission in registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Alwil Software\Avast\4.0" key.

The registry key is correct no matter where I check it. Does the registration determine if its pro or home? All the XP's have the same registration and they all show pro. This Vista shows both! It also loads some home versions of the plugins like for Outlook but the xp's all show the pro version of the plugin.

Again, I'm only used to PC version, not WHS.

Well I assume it might be a Vista thing since XP is ok but I was hoping that someone would recognize and know this issue. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »
This screen came up before I added the registry key.
So, seems ok to me as you haven't inserted the Pro key (yet).

The registry key is correct no matter where I check it. Does the registration determine if its pro or home?
Yes, as far I know.

All the XP's have the same registration and they all show pro. This Vista shows both! It also loads some home versions of the plugins like for Outlook but the xp's all show the pro version of the plugin.
Maybe a Vista glitch. Hope they could take a look on it.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:51:28 AM »
Is the license key section of the About box filled in correctly? (when invoking the About box from the tray icon)
I mean, does it show the correct key? (the part before the dash)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

billshk

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:37:36 PM »
Here is what the differences are from the same machine. The keys are both identical except they do not have the dash and remaining numbers but the key from the WHS console does show it correctly for this pc as seen in the attachments.

The top jpg is from the about  option from the system tray, the 2nd one is from the about option from the antivirus program itself and the 3rd one is how WHS sees this registered.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 04:45:35 PM by billshk »