Author Topic: IF FALSE POSITIVES HAPPEN?  (Read 3202 times)

Steele

IF FALSE POSITIVES HAPPEN?
« on: March 13, 2004, 03:42:29 AM »
Hey guys: ;D

In regards to the previous VPS release which was detecting a few to many false positives:

I'm just wondering, what are some good alternative "online" antivirus scanners incase avast detects (what I belive to be) more false positives?

I'm hoping this won't be an issue after the very last few recent VPS releases.

Then, I'll be able to determine what action to take to help out avast by sending in those files to be analyzed.

What IS the best action anyways? I now try to practice "NOT TO PANNIC!" Just like that lady states when that siren goes off.... ;) by moving the viruses to the chest. But how do I send them to avast? It seems I have to click EACH POSSIBLE VIRUS and click the e-mail button for every virus? Why can't it all be done in one go? Instead, I've been extracting them to a folder, then zipping all of them...THEN sending them to avast manualy through use of Outlook EXP/Mozilla Mail.  :P

STILL. The info on the online scanning sites would be very hepful! Although.... I guess you have to utilize ActiveX Controls....errr....oh.  :-\ Just how safe IS that?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 03:44:42 AM by Steele »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:IF FALSE POSITIVES HAPPEN?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 08:44:05 PM »
Steele, 'older' files are probably not infected when scanned by a new VPS files... I was sure that the files were false positives because I did the exe files myself and I'm not a virus maker  ;D

Scanning on-line (TrendMicro for instance) is one of the best solution except for comming here, to forums, and ask  8)
The best things in life are free.

Steele

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 10:07:11 PM »
That one looks good Technical! :D

Thanks!  ;D
What about Mozilla 1.7? (Mozilla 1.6)

Probably not as ActiveX is disabled...nor do I wish to use it. It's dangerous.  :o

Kindest Regards,

~Steele Wolf~
 I LOVE AVAST

Summoner Yuna

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 10:11:45 PM »
mozilla 1.5 is the best release of Mozilla. 1.6 had no real improvements. I still use 1.5 for windows and 1.5.1 for Mac

Steele

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 01:49:13 AM »
Look out for Mozilla 1.7 comming soon. It's still an Alpha release Summoner Yuna. How often do you upgrade? Are you waiting until Mozilla 2.0? hehehe... ;)

I got 1.6 since I never installed Mozilla before and wanted the latest thing. I think the only difference between 1.5 and 1.6 (correct me if I'm wrong) was the improved pop-up blocker? ???

Of course there were bug fixes and other things.... but that was the major issue FOR Mozilla users... if anything.  :)

Probably not enough to upgrade...especialy if your built in pop-up blocker is working fine.

Kindest Regards,
~ Steele Wolf ~  ;)