Author Topic: HKLM:software\classes\txtfile\shell\open\command Please help this Nana  (Read 10653 times)

gkdockery

Hi I am new to Avast and need help with some issues I have on my computer. I am running Windows ME. Found virus Win32:Kuang2 and need help getting rid of it...in very simple terms please...I don't know much about a computer. Also every time I run The avast worm/virus cleaner it says I have a virus in my registry that is called,
HKLM:softward\classes\txtfile\shell\open\command
Each time the program fixes it but comes back the next scan. What do I do?  I have tried also to download the Windows update thinking it might help my security problems but can't even do that......It won't install all the needed items.
Please help me....Thanks, gkdockery

whocares

Re:HKLM:software\classes\txtfile\shell\open\command Please help this Na
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 03:38:52 PM »
Hi gkdockery,

what Win do you have ?

a) please look in your other post about the Kuang stuff
b) navigate to the said registry key (with regedit.exe) and tell us what it says there (should be something like: <path to notepad.exe> %1 )

try also the avast cleaner from avast main page, maybe it cleans it up, too
 ;)

gkdockery

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 09:45:07 PM »
I have Win ME...I feel so dumb but I don't know what you mean by:
b) navigate to the said registry key (with regedit.exe) and tell us what it says there (should be something like: <path to notepad.exe> %1 )
how do I do this?
Please forgive my ignorance. My son use to help me with computer stuff and he moved to Australia...He never taught me just did it for me and now I am on my own with these problems and a 53  year old brain.... :D
I would appreciate it if  you didn't give up on me....Thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 10:01:51 PM »
What file is detected as Kuang virus? Didn't you use any Panda AV tools before? Kuang is often detected in files left by Panda... i.e. a false alarm caused by Panda not encrypting their virus signatures.

As for the textfile... it's strange. It is also possible that Virus Cleaner has some problems with your configuration.
Please, start regedit.exe (e.g. using the Start menu / Run), in the left part of the window (tree) navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\open\command, and when the command key is selected, check the right part of the window - what is the (Default) value?

gkdockery

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 12:49:22 AM »
notepad.exe%1

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 01:27:14 AM »
OK, it means that you probably don't have notepad.exe - somebody/something has deleted it.
That would explain the behavior of avast! Virus Cleaner - when started, it checks the associations for basic file types, including txtfile. If they are found to point to a non-existing files, they are fixed - i.e. set to default value. Unfortunatelly, the default value for txt file is link to notepad.exe, so it actually isn't changed.

So, you can safely ignore the Virus Cleaner warning. I'll try to fix this confusing behavior in the future versions. (However, it's not very usual not to have notepad.exe... it means you cannot open .TXT files from Explorer now.)

gkdockery

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 05:45:31 AM »
Ok that is good news, right? It means no virus. I never used notepad but was wondering if by not having it there would be other programs that wouldn't run properly. If so, is there anyway to replace it? You don't know how much your help is appreciated. Thanks for your kindness.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 01:13:37 PM »
Well, if you aren't expecting any troubles (i.e. the programs you need work correctly), you don't have to worry about it.
To restore notepad.exe, you would have to reinstall it from the Windows installation CD... probably using some kind of "Repair" option (I hope it's possible). But as I said... if you're happy with your computer now, there's no need to worry about it.

Ant718

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 03:36:32 PM »
Help. I really have the Win32:Kuang2 virus & Avast cant remove it. (sigh) :-\

Oh , BTW I didnt use PANDA.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 03:38:54 PM by Ant718 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 09:37:07 PM »
Where is the virus located? (i.e. what file(s) is it detected in?)