Author Topic: Avast and Opendns  (Read 544 times)

Offline mrjim

Avast and Opendns
« on: February 06, 2024, 10:36:02 PM »
I'm unable to get Opendns to work unless I disable avast shields control. I'm using the paid version of Avast Gold, Feb 1 2024 update. With avast running, opendns will not block anything and the Opendns updater says "Looks like there's no internet conductivity." Doesn't matter if VPN is on or off. However, if I disable Avast by right clicking on the icon in the system tray and disabling Avast shields control, Opendns works fine. Is there a better way to get opendns working without disabling all 12 avast shields?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast and Opendns
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 11:31:37 PM »

Offline mrjim

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 01:04:48 AM »
Thanks, I figured it out. The instructions in the faq are for Avast Premium Security and I'm using the paid version of Avast One which has a different interface and doesn't seem to include Real Site. However, Avast One uses "Web Shield" and disabling that allows Opendns to work. I tried adding exceptions to Web Shield but only had success when I turned it completely off. The Opendns Updater still doesn't seem to work but Opendns will block websites.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 01:21:16 AM »
The Opendns Updater still doesn't seem to work
Does avast one have a firewall?

Online DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 01:53:55 AM »
The Opendns Updater still doesn't seem to work
Does avast one have a firewall?

Yes it does, it had it before it came to Avast Antivirus Free.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security