Author Topic: FTC to ban Avast from selling browsing data for advertising purposes  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: FTC to ban Avast from selling browsing data for advertising purposes
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 12:59:34 PM »
Hi everyone,

Without trying to find any excuses, I just wanted to give you a bit of additional context and hopefully answer your questions.

• Avast’s data collection business (which was the subject of the FTC investigation) ended in January 2020. This was heavily covered by business media back then, see e.g. https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/30/avast-shuts-down-marketing-analytics-subsidiary-jumpshot-amid-controversy-over-selling-user-data/ . The very idea of monetizing data (albeit anonymized and aggregated) was indeed a mistake, for which the company apologized and subsequently took a long list of actions, including 3rd party audits, to ensure all relevant privacy measures and highest standards are in place. Some info on this can be found here: https://www.avast.com/privacy
  • In 2022, Avast merged with NortonLifeLock (a US competitor) to form a new company called Gen (www.gendigital.com). This means a new shareholder structure, (mostly) new management team, and new commitment to safety and privacy of user data.
  • One of the commitments the company has made to the FTC as part of the settlement process is that it wouldn't engage in any similar activities in the future. Avast happily accepted that provision as that's what has already been the reality for the last 4 years , and the company had never intended to do anything else.

Thank you and have a great day!
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2024, 10:22:09 AM »
Hi, have you checked this post from 2015 from Ondrej with a somewhat detailed description of what was happeniong then?
https://forum.avast.com/?topic=171725.0&_ga=2.156939131.1591376605.1708891360-15754894.1708099487
https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/29/avast-data-drives-new-analytics-engine/

Also, this is an official announcement here, from year 2020, about the complete shutdown of the Jumpshot company and termination of all related activities: https://press.avast.com/avast-to-commence-wind-down-of-subsidiary-jumpshot

I hope these historical links help answer some of the questions.
Lukas.

Your information was important, but you didn't answer the questions I asked. I would appreciate it if you could respond, I will be waiting.

It was difficult to find out about this issue, and now Avast?
1- Are you still collecting data?
2- What was done to no longer be collected?
3- How are we going to trust our data now?
4- Avast team inform all customers what was done to change since it was purchased by GEN DIGITAL.

1. They have shut down all controversial data collection operations back when the controversy happened. That was in 2020 iirc. They still collect certain data related to protection and app usage which can be controlled in the Privacy menu of the program.

2. See point 1.

3. If you have to ask this question, then you can't. It's as simple as that. All trust is entirely on the user side and if you don't trust them, then there is not much that can be done to convince you otherwise. I've personally had all settings in Privacy menu turned off except CommunityIQ feature and I believe the incident didn't affect me at all and I still trust them assuming those settings were in fact trusted and did what they were suppose to do. And since I've been with Avast on a more personal level, I know and believe things they say to be true.

4. I don't think they've sent out a global mail to all the customers about it back then, but it was on their webpage, their blog and all over the news sites. I don't see a reason they need to do it to Gen Digital customers as whole as I don't think it's relevant. The whole controversy happened way before Gen Digital merger and they also ceased those operations back then.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2024, 12:00:06 AM »
I know GEN will not allow these kind of behavior. So i think AVAST will not be that stupid again.
I stopped using Avast and went for Norton. Same HQ but privacy wise Norton is much clearer + i know some people who work at Norton.

Yeah but from a software/AV perspective, Norton sucks. Compared to other AVs it's a huge process hog and is notoriously difficult to uninstall.

Friend, in your opinion, what would be a good option to use other than Avast?

BitDefender or just stick with Windows Defender.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2024, 12:29:12 AM »
I know GEN will not allow these kind of behavior. So i think AVAST will not be that stupid again.
I stopped using Avast and went for Norton. Same HQ but privacy wise Norton is much clearer + i know some people who work at Norton.

Yeah but from a software/AV perspective, Norton sucks. Compared to other AVs it's a huge process hog and is notoriously difficult to uninstall.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/performance-test-october-2023/

Offline New_Style_xd

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2024, 12:37:50 AM »
When it comes to performance, no one beats ESET. think of a lightweight, fast and efficient antivirus.
Avast could be lightweight.
OS: Windows 10 PRO / Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU 2.60 GHz.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security: 24.2.6104 (compilação 24.2.8904.819) IU: 1.0.799
Moble: Avast Security: 24.3.0-1004091
VPN: Avast SecureLine VPN: 5.29.9498
On Demand: Malwarebytes: 4.6.9.314

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2024, 01:13:49 AM »

What exactly am I supposed to be looking at here?

Offline New_Style_xd

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 02:03:15 AM »
I also didn't understand and what to see in this link?
Real Time: Avast Premium Security: 24.2.6104 (compilação 24.2.8904.819) IU: 1.0.799

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 07:39:45 AM »

What exactly am I supposed to be looking at here?

You say Norton is a huge process hog, the test show it is not

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2024, 12:35:52 PM »
When it comes to performance, no one beats ESET. think of a lightweight, fast and efficient antivirus.

Could be? It is. I've frankly never used any other AV that is so light on the systems. Maybe ESET and maybe AVIRA are direct comparison, but nothing else really. All others always made some sort of weird drag on the system, Microsoft Defender being the worst offender since day 1 and it's exactly as slow as it was years ago. Tests claimed it's not, but something was very off with that.

Avast is so light I frankly don't even know I have it on my system. It's just there doing its job. Microsoft Defender always reminds me it's there because large EXE or installers always take forever to scan and execute and you can actually see and feel that delay. And that's on a 5800X3D, 32GB RAM and Seagate Firecuda 530 4TB system. You can't exactly say the system is weak to cause such lag... And no, it's not "my configuration". It has been this way basically since Windows Defender was introduced. Was it Windows 7 back then? Through many different system configs and Windows versions, it was always equally slow. Avast on the other hand has always been fast. Also memory usage is not a metric of how resource intensive program is. I haven't looked at that metric for like 15 years now, because it's just irrelevant.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline New_Style_xd

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2024, 04:58:53 PM »

Could be? It is. I've frankly never used any other AV that is so light on the systems. Maybe ESET and maybe AVIRA are direct comparison, but nothing else really. All others always made some sort of weird drag on the system, Microsoft Defender being the worst offender since day 1 and it's exactly as slow as it was years ago. Tests claimed it's not, but something was very off with that.

Avast is so light I frankly don't even know I have it on my system. It's just there doing its job. Microsoft Defender always reminds me it's there because large EXE or installers always take forever to scan and execute and you can actually see and feel that delay. And that's on a 5800X3D, 32GB RAM and Seagate Firecuda 530 4TB system. You can't exactly say the system is weak to cause such lag... And no, it's not "my configuration". It has been this way basically since Windows Defender was introduced. Was it Windows 7 back then? Through many different system configs and Windows versions, it was always equally slow. Avast on the other hand has always been fast. Also memory usage is not a metric of how resource intensive program is. I haven't looked at that metric for like 15 years now, because it's just irrelevant.

If you use an HDD in place of SSD. you will see how heavy Avast is.
I tested it on a machine that uses HDD, all of which proved that AVAST is heavy.
Using ESET on the HDD is not heavy, the machine is fast.

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2024, 02:03:18 AM »

Oh ok so one test from one source overrides the experience I have had using Norton in the past. Good to know.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2024, 07:52:46 AM »

Oh ok so one test from one source overrides the experience I have had using Norton in the past. Good to know.
And you can turn that around the other way

Offline BandiRoot

• Malware-Experts
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2024, 04:13:28 PM »

I think you are not up to date anymore, Norton has been completely rewritten years ago and its one of the lightest AV.

Space for rent.

Offline New_Style_xd

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2024, 01:32:10 AM »
From the image that was posted, it is very clear that the NORTON is much lighter than the AVAST, which is heavy. Remember to use HDD and you will realize that AVAST is heavy.

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2024, 03:29:38 AM »

I think you are not up to date anymore, Norton has been completely rewritten years ago and its one of the lightest AV.

Fair enough, though I also don't know if you conveniently cut off your screenshot to only show some of the processes. I can do the same thing with Avast as follows

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 03:32:17 AM by Dinobot2 »