Author Topic: Update not working?  (Read 8847 times)

rhs07

Update not working?
« on: January 14, 2008, 01:41:24 AM »
I purchased Avast for Mac yesterday. Check for update worked fine until this afternoon. Since then, when it checks for updates (set to check every six hours), I get only "checking for incremental update..." and it hangs there. To be safe, I added Avast to the firewall settings, but it still hangs up. Is there something I'm overlooking or is there a problem with their server?

Thanks,
Rick

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Update not working?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:42:15 AM »
Update is working fine here.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »
I purchased Avast for Mac yesterday. Check for update worked fine until this afternoon. Since then, when it checks for updates (set to check every six hours), I get only "checking for incremental update..." and it hangs there. To be safe, I added Avast to the firewall settings, but it still hangs up. Is there something I'm overlooking or is there a problem with their server?

Thanks,
Rick

Hallo, strange thing here is that is worked once, and then it suddenly stopped to work. Is your Internet connectivity/setting correct?
Try to quit the app and agent, and restart avast. Then, run (as root, in terminal) tcpdump -p tcp and dst port 80, and click "Check Update" in Avast!'s GUI.

Some traffic to xxxx.avast.com, port 80, should occur - and then , you must wait for a while. If not, turn on all debugging defaults (here's how-to:  http://public.avast.com/~cimbal/beta.html ), and send us the logs. Don't forget to turn these defaults off, the logs tend to grow a bit.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

rhs07

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
Hallo, strange thing here is that is worked once, and then it suddenly stopped to work. Is your Internet connectivity/setting correct?
Try to quit the app and agent, and restart avast.

I rebooted the computer, and it's now working again.  Don't know why it locked up, but at least for now the issue is resolved.

Thanks,
Rick