Author Topic: VPN turns on at home, settings locked  (Read 1324 times)

Offline mishamcm

VPN turns on at home, settings locked
« on: March 16, 2024, 08:56:09 PM »
The VPN keeps turning on when on my home network.  When I go to VPN settings there's a lock symbol next to the word settings and I can't change anything, and I don't see anyway to designate my home network as trusted.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: VPN turns on at home, settings locked
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 06:36:11 AM »
There should be a setting where you can change your VPN to a manual start-up vs. automatic.  Change your settings by Menu>Settings>when not connected to your home network.  Be offline.

I've got Avast VPN as a stand-alone program, but your settings should be the same or similar.

See attached below:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline mishamcm

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 07:35:52 PM »
I don't have those options in free Avast One, and the settings I do have can't be changed.  Theres a lock icon next to Settings.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 10:03:53 PM »
I don't have those options in free Avast One, and the settings I do have can't be changed.  Theres a lock icon next to Settings.

Unfortunately Avast One is more of a one size fits all, it has more features than Avast Antivirus Free, but it is less configurable.  This is why I have stuck with Avast Antivirus Free, it doesn't have the Avast VPN module.  Avast One Essentials (the free version) does have a VPN but it is limited in the download limits (it should however still be configurable).

The Lock Icon can mean more than one thing, for me in Avast Antivirus Free it it either not installed or a 'paid' option.

A screenshot of what you are seeing could help us understand the problem.
What is displayed when you click that VPN shield icon (again a screenshot would help)  ?

- Attaching Images to your post - When you Click the Reply button it opens a text window for you to post your comment (reply or post).
Click the Preview button, that shows what you have input and expands it to include 'Attachments and other options'. Click that it further expands, here you can attach images, etc. at the bottom of your post.
See my attached image, click to expand.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mishamcm

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 12:48:18 AM »
Here's what I see:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 01:45:24 AM »
I think the clue is in the 'When connecting to untrusted networks.'

I'm thinking what are your Firewall and or Network Shield settings, Private or Public ?
If Public they might be considered untrusted networks forcing it to use the VPN.

Unfortunately my not using Avast One, I'm working in the dark.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mishamcm

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 02:17:17 AM »
Ahh, didn't think to look under firewall.  Unfortunately, it only lists the VPN and "Identifying...", so I'm not sure whether to mark it as Trusted.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 03:12:16 AM »
First things first - only make one change at a time and test.
If no change reset to original and then try the next.

What options do you get if you click the down arrow on the 'Connected to Avast SecureLine VPN WireGuard 9' I would have thought at the very least the Avast SecureLine VPN would have been treated as secure.

The problem for me would be how to find out what this Connected to identifying... ?
As it is still trying to identify.

Offline mishamcm

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 04:06:00 AM »
Choices are the same for both, Trust or Don't Trust

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2024, 06:03:48 AM »
Issue here is with the VPN on, your home network effectively is a public network.  That means devices such as other pcs, printers, cameras, NAS devices (Network Attached Storage) on your network cannot be seen by your system as long as your VPN is active and running.

The fact that your options are dimmed can only mean one of two things:
  • You have exceeded your monthly VPN limit usage
  • You have a corrupted free? version of Avast One OR something else
If you were to temporarily uninstall Avast One, Windows Defender Antivirus should become active again after restart, as should Windows Firewall. 

What does Windows Firewall say your system network is?  Private or Public?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803