Author Topic: Premium Security goes back to "Smart Mode" every reboot and clean boot!  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Marq

Hi! I have being using Avast many times in my life and i have never seen this issue before both on free or paid version, but now on Premium Security from this latest "program update/upgrade" 24 April my Avast goes back to "Smart Mode" each time i reboot or i have a normal clean one. i have always been able to have Silent Mode on all the time but now suddenly i can't!
Have i missed something and is there something i can do so my program always uses Silent Mode?
All Best!
/Marq
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 05:09:55 PM by Marq »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Is it the same issue as posted here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327386.0
If true, I suggest you monitor that thread.

Offline Marq

That thread doesn't tell me very much yet, and he/she hasn't said which version of Avast he is using, so in the end i do not know, but i would most likely guess it's the same issue...

I can say that eventho i have been using many years free version of antivirus or paid version i have always being able to have Silent Mode on all the time eventho i restart the computer, but now suddenly it just doesn't work anymore... after this last program update...

« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 06:36:35 PM by Marq »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
That thread doesn't tell me very much yet, and he/she hasn't said which version of Avast he is using, so in the end i do not know, but i would most likely guess it's the same issue...

I can say that eventho i have been using many years free version of antivirus or paid version i have always being able to have Silent Mode on all the time eventho i restart the computer, but now suddenly it just doesn't work anymore... after this last program update...

If the setting that is shown in my screenshot in that post, (Pop-up notifications treatment) what 'you' are talking about, then it is most likely related.

Presumably, though you don't say specifically, have set that to 'Silent Mode' ?
I elect not to go for that (even on my Avast Free version), but choose Limited Mode and that appears to stick (for me) after a restart after the program update.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 11:47:54 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Marq

...Presumably, though you don't say specifically, have set that to 'Silent Mode' ?

I hope i understand you here... but I have only been using "Silent Mode" not "Silent Mode + Threat Alerts" or any of the other settings...
And maybe Limited Mode works just fine, but i want Silent Mode... it have worked perfect, before this last program update...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I have added the screen shot in my previous post in this topic.  Hopefully for clarity.

Is this where you are making changes, if not I suggest attaching a screenshot of where you are making the changes.

If you don't try something, it is very hard to try and pin down.

If Limited Mode works I would also hope that would extend.  But I have no idea where you are making this change.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Marq

I have added the screen shot in my previous post in this topic.  Hopefully for clarity.

Is this where you are making changes, if not I suggest attaching a screenshot of where you are making the changes.

If you don't try something, it is very hard to try and pin down.

If Limited Mode works I would also hope that would extend.  But I have no idea where you are making this change.

Hi! When it comes to Silent Mode changes there is two ways to do it, (1) first via the tray icon beside the clock by rightclicking on it and choose "Silent Mode", (2) second the Notifications area via the softwares menu/settings and choose Silent Mode over there. I have tried both of them many time now due to the issue, but in general before the issue i only used the tray icon time to time e.g. when i have a new installation.

Just to make sure... i have now made an overall test to see what's working and are ON after each restart...

- Limited Mode is ON and works after a restart!

- Silent Mode + Threat Alerts is NOT ON after a restart, which the software goes back to Smart Mode!

- Silent Mode (Both via tray and notification) is NOT ON after a restart, which the software also here goes back to Smart Mode!

The version i am using is... Premium Security 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762), 1.0.803, 240506-2 ...if now this helps!?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 06:08:02 PM by Marq »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
That would certainly qualify as a bug as one option is working, whilst the second isn't.

I will try and draw some Avast attention to this topic.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Just to make sure... i have now made an overall test to see what's working and are ON after each restart...

- Limited Mode is ON and works after a restart!

- Silent Mode + Threat Alerts is NOT ON after a restart, which the software goes back to Smart Mode!

- Silent Mode (Both via tray and notification) is NOT ON after a restart, which the software also here goes back to Smart Mode!

I've just carried out the same tests at home and I can confirm your findings.

it's undoubtedly a bug

Offline Marq

Hi and thx for the update! Now it works... ^^
I made the same test again as before and now all modes are ON after each reboot...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 02:21:59 PM by Marq »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Seen this response in another topic for anyone still experiencing this:

when is it coming out?
This micro update is already released. If you still experience this problem, please reboot your computer and check again.

Offline FPE

Definitely not fixed with Avast Free version on Windows 11 (see https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327411)