Author Topic: Would sharing activation keys lead to possible malwares?  (Read 661 times)

Offline margaretgeorge

Would sharing activation keys lead to possible malwares?
« on: May 17, 2024, 09:17:40 PM »
Will my Windows 10 computer get infected with malware(s) if I use a friend's Avast activation key (which is usable on multiple devices) to put my computer's Avast product(s) into premium mode, and which had been used on my friend's computer that is still infested with malware(s)?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Would sharing activation keys lead to possible malwares?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 09:45:58 PM »
1.  Your friends multi user license must be valid and only they can allocate it to you.

2.  See https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/activate-premium-security-multi-device/#pc

3.  If the license is legitimate then it can be assigned, by the owner, see 2. above.
Otherwise the paid installation would be considered a trial and you would have to sign up for the trial period, 30 days.  After this payment would be expected and you would have had to set that up before starting the trial.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline margaretgeorge

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 10:17:39 PM »
1.  Your friends multi user license must be valid and only they can allocate it to you.

2.  See https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/activate-premium-security-multi-device/#pc

3.  If the license is legitimate then it can be assigned, by the owner, see 2. above.
Otherwise the paid installation would be considered a trial and you would have to sign up for the trial period, 30 days.  After this payment would be expected and you would have had to set that up before starting the trial.

The topic of my question was completely missed. I was asking whether using the multi-device activation key on my computer, which was firstly used on the Avast product on a malware-infested computer (in this case, my friend's), would result in my computer getting infected as well.

The Avast softwares of both my friend's and mine's are downloaded from legitimate sources such as Avast official websites instead of shady channels such as "cracking/piracy".

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 11:34:56 PM »
If you put a usb stick in the infected computer and then in your computer it may be infected

If you have the license in writing, no the infection dont follow the license

Offline margaretgeorge

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2024, 12:17:12 AM »
If you put a usb stick in the infected computer and then in your computer it may be infected

If you have the license in writing, no the infection dont follow the license

Thanks. I was worried about the possibility of fileless malware(s) hopping onto another computer if I re-use the licence key on the latter.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2024, 12:45:50 AM »
Thanks. I was worried about the possibility of fileless malware(s) hopping onto another computer if I re-use the licence key on the latter.
That is not how it works

Fileless malware usually arrive as a phising e-mail