Author Topic: directx and Avast  (Read 2815 times)

woods787

directx and Avast
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:15:58 PM »
Ran into a problem with Avast which is why I came to the forum.  I am running Win2k, and did have DirectX 9c installed.  When I looked into the DirectX tool in system info it listed a file as beta mfc42.dll version6.9586 and it said it should be removed.  Well I found it where it said to look and deleted it.  After deleting it a red slash appeared in the Avast icon and it wouldn't work.  I tried to repair it, via Add/Remove programs, no dice.  Went into Safe Mode and used awclear to remove it.  I really like Avast and want it in my computer so I found a program to take DirectX 9c out, reinstalled DirectX 7 off the Win2k CD (no beta files listed) and reinstalled Avast, it has been running just fine now.  Avast has to have some connection with DirectX as another poster suggested as I also have run into a problem.  If it doesn't than why when removing that file did the red slash appear and the program stopped working?  I will not upgrade to DirectX 9c as all is well with my system so far.   ;D  If this wasn't the reason the red slash appeared any ideas as to why it did?  I am running the latest version of Avast, 4.8 and Win2k is up to date with all the MS updates.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: directx and Avast
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »
Hence why it was called BETA :-) Get the final version and everything should be fine. Do not just delete system files without proper research.