Author Topic: Ran scan now i have the logon/off loop HELP!  (Read 3839 times)

voodooday2

Ran scan now i have the logon/off loop HELP!
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:11:54 AM »
 >:( My boyfriends computer has had many problems of late we have scanned with Trend Micro house call Spyware terminator Ad-aware and other things as well. Road runner keeps shutting off our service because of the problems. We know he has 100 or more viruses so i take road runners advice this last time we called to get them to turn our service back on and go to http://www.twccarolinas-security.com/ .....The pre step goes fine then step 1 says to pic a virus scan off a list I chose avast installed (went great) I then chose the option to run on start up I shut down the computer restarted and the scan started (also went great) many things where found Trojans and i saw repeatedly  Win32 Virut I think or winsystem 32 virut any way I just chose the option delete all (or 2) at the end of the scan which took an hour or two cant remember cause i was making dinner but the system gos to start and prompts him for his name and password which it does not normally do but has occasionally in the past he types it in hits OK it starts to load then gos back to the name password thing...i didn't know what to do as I don't know much at all about computers and he doesnot know anything about these specific problems...we tyred repeatedly so i get on my computer and start looking stuff up and have found very little info other than there is a virus that can cause "the loop" but it didn't start until i finished the scan this after noon please some one walk me through fixing this problem his computer has all our photos and his music from his last few bands though we have some backed up the photos from this Christmas have not yet been backed up and this is very important to the both of use and we haven't the experience to know where to go from here....detailed instructions please helpHELPHELP :-[ :'(

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: Ran scan now i have the logon/off loop HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 08:07:40 AM »
You say that you know that you had?? 100 or more Viruses etc. If my system were so heavily infected I would definitely consider a complete reformat and OS re-install. No matter how good the repair/removal product/tools used not all would be repaired completely.

Just something to consider.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:30:58 AM »
i saw repeatedly  Win32 Virut I think or winsystem 32 virut any way I just chose the option delete all (or 2)

This little fella, I believe infects .exe file, so if you chose delete, all the infected exe files are gone.

An overinstall, may make it stable enough to boot. Don't know, the files could become infected as fast as they are replaced.

Slaving it or using an external usb hook up, may allow extraction of pictures, etc, but keep in mind you are dealing with a "hot" hard drive and the infection could easily spread to a clean system.

vartismz

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »
could be the SAM file is corrupted or modified. it could be regristry...the registry has been locked... if indeed your registry is locked,  then you choose to run a repair on your system using your original installation cd [repair of  installation] the problem will still remain, coz the system will use same set of policy and settings... if you reinstaller you OS your documents folders could become inaccessible if it set to private..
where are your important files located, is it in your "my documents" folder?
is it set to private? coz if it is located in the "my documents" folder you'll get an error if you try to extract files or copy files from it...

*try to boot in safe mode..
*try administrator account, at the login type "administrator" as user, no password

this could work but in most case that i have seen, it does not, but its worth a try
coz different configuration, different degree of infection.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 10:09:56 AM by vartismz »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:52:55 PM »
You say that you know that you had?? 100 or more Viruses etc. If my system were so heavily infected I would definitely consider a complete reformat and OS re-install. No matter how good the repair/removal product/tools used not all would be repaired completely.
I agree.

Slaving it or using an external usb hook up, may allow extraction of pictures, etc, but keep in mind you are dealing with a "hot" hard drive and the infection could easily spread to a clean system.
Backup your data, or even try Mozy (link in my signature) to upload your documents and data to an on-line backup/restore system.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 02:55:28 PM »
backup (offline, from linux e.g.) your "non-infectable" files (pictures, ascii data and maybe office documents), nothing more (especially no PE files) and format your HDD...

voodooday2

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 01:32:15 AM »
Ok how do i do any of this stuff when the computer wont log on? I happen to be on my personal computer and this infected computer that wont work because of avast is my BFs computer like i said previouslly I know NOTHING about computers at all appaerntlly what STEP by STEP instructions do u have to point me on the right track? And it never did the loop untill i downloaded avast and ran it

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:19:38 AM »
My suggestion is, if you have the xp disk, do a repair install and try to start the computer in safe mode. Get your photo,music etc off the computer then reformat and start over.

You have a very serious virus. It wouldn't have mattered what anti virus program you had installed, once you chose to delete the infected files, you would have been in the same position. The files that where infected where .exe files, very important to the operating system.