Author Topic: Avast Blocking Software Installation !!!  (Read 26937 times)

moses_x

Avast Blocking Software Installation !!!
« on: March 13, 2004, 11:44:21 PM »
I've installed Avast and after i try to install 2 softwares. Both start to run the instalation and then the process just disapear. No messages or warnings. Just stop !!! So, i've waste some time trying discover what's going on, and removing avast, uninstalling it, the programs become runnig again. Even killing all avast process, the programs doesn't run. Only removing avast, they got back. what's the problem ????
obs: The programs are:
Seriff Photo plus 5.5: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/
Relex 7.6 Demo: http://www.relexsoftware.com/products/download.asp
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 11:51:40 PM by moses_x »

JEfromCanada

Re:Avast Blocking Software Installation !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 12:10:02 AM »
Just a quick question... Did you reboot after installing avast.  Did you reboot after installing each of the other programs.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 12:15:29 AM »
That's strange... I've never heard of such kind of problems.

What OS do you use? What avast! did you install - Home or Pro?
Did you change its resident protection settings anyhow?

I know it's quite obvious, but I'd better ask anyway - you have enough free disk space, right? (including the drive where the TMP directory is located, if it's different from the one you're installing it to).

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 02:45:01 AM »
The problem is in advanced settings. I did the same thing and I had to stop provider to download any thing(which can be a good thing) I liked that avast locked down the computer but I don't want to turn it off everytime I want to download something

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 02:54:40 AM »
Hi,

Maybe the avast! team and other experts here will disagree with me -- but it used to be standard practice when installing a new program to scan it first, then shut down or pause or otherwise disable your a-v while running the installer, to avoid conflicts.  Don't forget to re-activate the a-v afterwards, of course.

Several times I've had Windows Update hang up on me (no, not my dialup line  ;) ) if I had my Standard Shield active while I was trying to download and install an update.  Pausing the SS and trying again invariably worked just fine.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 04:25:56 AM »
Mike, the problem could be on the other hand: when you enable avast! then avast! could be the 'incompatible' program with the last one installed. For me I have no trouble with the Standard Shield at high sensitivity and installing software or Windows updates.

Although, you are right, the most softwares advice you that all other running programs must be disable for a correct installation.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 01:06:35 PM »
The problem is in advanced settings. I did the same thing and I had to stop provider to download any thing(which can be a good thing) I liked that avast locked down the computer but I don't want to turn it off everytime I want to download something

Can you explain more in detail, please?
avast! should never "lock" computer...

cagor

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 03:38:05 PM »
I'm running XP and Avast Home, and have just had problems with Windows updates too, but if I pause the standard shield it works fine. I've got Adfree installed, and the same thing applies - have to pause that also.

techie101

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 06:05:24 PM »
MIKE
Maybe the avast! team and other experts here will disagree with me -- but it used to be standard practice when installing a new program to scan it first, then shut down or pause or otherwise disable your a-v while running the installer, to avoid conflicts
Yes and No.  Normally the AV program should be left active while installing a program unless it does conflict.  The reason is that some AV file extension sets contain extensions of files that the Installer uses.  The AV prevents these files from opening and thus the install halts.

MOSES

If you have properly installed Avast which requires shutting down all Windows programs except Systray and Explorer, then rebooting after the installer completes, then we need to look elsewhere for the problem.  It is not within Avast.
Set the Standard Shield down to Normal and see if you can install your programs.

TECHNICAL
I doubt that Avast is the "incompatible" program.  As you know it usually gets along with "everybody"  :D

MAX

I don't understand what you mean by the "Advanced Settings" causing the trouble.
What do you have the shield set at?  What other settings did you change or modify?

Thanks,
techie101

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 09:52:49 PM »
TECHNICAL
I doubt that Avast is the "incompatible" program.  As you know it usually gets along with "everybody"  :D

Techie, yes avast! could be the incompatible program after the reboot it the last one (for instance, a firewall or another av application) installs correct with the disable provider...
I mean, disabling avast! you can install correctly the other software and when Windows restart the firewall or the another av could be 'stronger' or 'faster' than avast! and loads first... After that, avast! becomes incompatible.

This is life... Windows does not load the programs in a specific way each time.
This happens whatever another user can say. Maybe it occurs maybe not  :P

I have discussed this with pk by IM. He gaves me the reason  ;D

Of course, the incompatibility is the other program, avast! is always our best one.  ;D
The best things in life are free.

moses_x

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 10:08:16 PM »
What OS do you use? What avast! did you install - Home or Pro?
Did you change its resident protection settings anyhow?

I know it's quite obvious, but I'd better ask anyway - you have enough free disk space, right? (including the drive where the TMP directory is located, if it's different from the one you're installing it to).
I'm using WindosXP Pro with SP1 and Avast Home. As i've said before, i've killed all Avast process. I have HD space.

moses_x

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 10:13:10 PM »
If you have properly installed Avast which requires shutting down all Windows programs except Systray and Explorer, then rebooting after the installer completes, then we need to look elsewhere for the problem.  It is not within Avast.
Set the Standard Shield down to Normal and see if you can install your programs.
I'll try your sugestion.....

techie101

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 02:13:59 AM »
Technical,

I agree, if you look at it that way.  

Moses,
Try the install as recommended and let us know how you make out.

We will be here.

techie

moses_x

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 10:33:50 PM »
Here what happend. First i´ve uninstall avast. So, to be sure, i´ve test the softwares and the installations start with no problems. Then, i kill all unacessary process and begin avast installation. Everything runs with no problems. At the end, avast prompt to restart the system. I´ve clicked ok, the system boots up and avast was running. So, without changing the default config, i´ve started the programs, and the problems occurs. I´ve try to disable the standard shield with no success.
So, only uninstalling avast this programs installs runs. I´ve notice in task manager, when i was without avast, that one of the programs create two process: _wowexec.exe and ntvdm.exe. When avast is installed, ntvdm.exe start to run, but is killed, and the instalation stop.
Now, i make a sugestion. Can anyone using avast can try to install one of this softwares ???? Only to be sure about the problem .....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 01:16:14 AM by moses_x »

techie101

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 12:58:29 AM »
moses,

Apparently Avast detects the 2 programs and acts upon them as potentially dangerous to your system.
The Standard Shield Extension Set in the Blocker includes programs of the .exe ending.

You can try to do the following:
1.  Set the Standard Shield to Normal from High
2.  You can remove the .exe file extension by opening the OnAccess Protection panel.  Then go to the Standard Shield module screen/Customize/Blocker/Show.....
Locate and click on .exe and then Remove.

See if that works for you.

techie