Author Topic: How can I change cache and log folder locations?  (Read 3584 times)

iblokh

How can I change cache and log folder locations?
« on: January 22, 2008, 04:11:30 AM »
Hey guys - just switched to Avast after a clean format and very happy with it so far.  I'm having some HD noise issues with my laptop and decided to set-up a RAM disk to store all my temp/cache/log files, reduce wear on the HD and maybe speed things up a bit - just experimenting.  Anyway - I haven't been able to figure out the following:

1)  How to change the log file folder.  I see am option to change how often events are logged only.
2)  What other caching Avast does and how to change the location for those files as well.  I use Filemon to monitor disk activity and see Avast in there fairly often, even when the VDB generation is turned off.  I think those are mainly reads of new files, but just in case.

I have a feeling both involve regedit...any suggestions?  Thanks!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: How can I change cache and log folder locations?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:18:31 AM »
Caching by avast is, as you might expect, a far greater activity than is logging. 

I have never concerned myself with the logging activity - it being, by far, less than caching.  For different reasons than yours I asked the avast team some years ago to provide a way to change the caching location from the standard windows system defined temporary disk space location.

As a (then) new arrival in this forum I was most impressed and very pleased when they accommodated my request by providing a registry override for the temporary avast files.

You too may can use this option by creating a new registry key in:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ALWIL_Software\Avast\4.0

The name of the new key is:

Avast4TempFolder

and in this key you would enter the location of the folder you want avast to use.  Mine - for example - is:

F:\TempAvast

Should any of the avast team happen by this post - then I ask (for the reasons I gave before in this forum) that the feature be carried across to the new release of avast being developed.

Others may provide more assistance with the placement of the log files. 

Later edit:

I should have made clear that if you have changed the default location of your Windows temporary file placement then avast will have already followed that change for the caching activity.  If you have done so then the the use of the avast registry override is not needed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:23:13 AM by alanrf »

iblokh

Re: How can I change cache and log folder locations?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:23:52 AM »
Thanks for the detailed reply!  I will be changing the windows/temp and local settings/temp folder as well, so if Avast only caches to these, I may not need the registry change after all.  Still, good to know  - thanks.