Author Topic: Software updater not work in Avast 24.8/24.9  (Read 1694 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Software updater not work in Avast 24.8
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2024, 07:09:56 AM »
Install Cleanup to get Software Updater?

What would've been helpful would've been a notation of this software change/feature was to occur in version 24.8 at the time of deploying the software.

I believe Cleanup is a paid-for feature, if I am not mistaken, and is one not needed, and Software Updater was never a comprehensive program covering hundreds of programs, I'll pass. 

Thank you anyway.
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Avast Premier Security version 24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.868)
UI version 1.0.814

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2024, 10:40:45 AM »
@mchain sorry for the confusion. Petr meant the "Cleanup" component, which is part of the Antivirus, and it now contains the Software Updater feature.
There's no need to install the standalone program Avast Cleanup.
You can install the Cleanup component by following this article: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/add-remove-antivirus-components/
ō͡≡о

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2024, 04:03:57 PM »
@mchain sorry for the confusion. Petr meant the "Cleanup" component, which is part of the Antivirus, and it now contains the Software Updater feature.
There's no need to install the standalone program Avast Cleanup.
You can install the Cleanup component by following this article: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/add-remove-antivirus-components/
Is nonsense merge those two features together. I dont want have installed any "cleanup" tool. Anyway, I can live without software updater too.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2024, 09:32:28 PM »
I use premium and had uninstalled the "cleanup" component a long time ago but Software updater was installed.
Today, when I came across this message, I took a closer look.
SU is still part of the UI and if I add/remove components I see that cleanup is checked.
That said, the "cleanup" component is still not present in my UI.... All this is a bit strange.

@mchain
and Software Updater was never a comprehensive program covering hundreds of programs

Have you tried the engine running with version 24.8?

I was surprised to see 11 new programs appear (like malwarebytes, MVC++, openoffice,...) on the day I installed 24.8.

I also saw that you could integrate Windows updates by checking the box in the settings (it's unchecked by default).

it's true that this may not yet be the entirety of what's installed on the pc, but it must be said that avast hasn't let this component stagnate.
Personally, I've deactivated its automatic updates and use it to keep an eye on the timing of major program updates.
And I don't let avast do the updates, I do them via the program itself.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2024, 05:09:49 PM »
In Avast 24.9 is no change. Setup is the same. "Software updater" should be under "Cleanup" if is dependent on it, same way as "Ransomware shield" is under "Behavior shield".
I checked only "Software updater" and Avast GUI tell me i have not installed it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 05:11:42 PM by TheOwner »