Author Topic: How long does VRDB (scanning).... scan?  (Read 3457 times)

Darth AkSarBen

How long does VRDB (scanning).... scan?
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:43:51 PM »
With the VRDB set to scan while using any screensaver, or with the "idle" approach, how long does it keep scanning?  I understand that it makes back up copies of files.  If you have large files, wouldn't it literally fill up the hard drive after while?

Does it scan just system files?

Former AVG user.  I find Avast! a much cleaner simpler solution.  Just not sure if it would play nice if I installed ThreatFire 3 for checking malware and spyware?  www.threatfire.com

sanctuary24

Re: How long does VRDB (scanning).... scan?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:17:27 PM »
takes mine around 15-18 minutes to complete when I run it manually, I have a 40Gb hard drive

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:59:35 PM »
I have 3 SATA drives.  C: & D:  and another OS are on my larger drive, 320GB.  E: is on the 80GB SATA, and G: is on the 120GB SATA drive.  G is mostly a back up drive where things are stored from a backup software program I use called Tubro Backup.  It keeps the pictures, documents, excel files, addresses, mail and other things that are not easily replaceable on this "G" drive.    I have turned it off for scanning, but with all this, and being networked, it looks like the scanning and hard drives will work hours and days.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:00:25 PM »
With the VRDB set to scan while using any screensaver, or with the "idle" approach, how long does it keep scanning?  I understand that it makes back up copies of files.  If you have large files, wouldn't it literally fill up the hard drive after while?

The VRDB does not back up files as such, as has been explained before somewhere here, so you shouldn't think of it as a substitute for a backup utility.  Instead it saves data (don't ask me what) which can (hopefully) be used for restoring an infected file to its original clean condition.

That's why the generated VRDB, while fairly sizeable (without looking, something like 20 megs on my system rings a bell), is only a tiny fraction of the size of the files it's protecting.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:08:04 PM »
Mike, would it be worth the effort then to include the backed up VRDB file in my backup program, so each morning at 2:00 it, along with other backup folders and files go to the G drive?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
I suppose it wouldn't hurt, since these days 20 (or whatever) megs is a tiny decimal-faction of your probable free space.

My system came with RestoreIT installed, which does essentially the same thing for the entire drive the first boot-up each morning.  But it's not useful as a backup tool, since it's an all-or-nothing thing - I can't backup or restore only selected files.
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 02:03:23 PM »
Where is this file located that I might include it in backups?  Also during a scan last night (screensaver mode) it found Malware from a My Documents folder in my MySQL database stuff.  I told it to put it in the chest.  Where is the chest?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »
If you look in the folder-tree where avast is installed (normally Program Files\Alwil\Avast4), under Data you'll see a number of folders.  The VRDB is a single file in Integ, and the Chest folder is obvious.