Author Topic: #Free version only for home use?  (Read 7651 times)

Offline pcguy

#Free version only for home use?
« on: March 14, 2004, 04:13:36 AM »
I volunteer for a locall non profit user group who is looking for an anti-virus. I noticed that the licensing condition for the free homne version indicates that the computer must not be used in a company setting and must be located at home. Is this a hard and fast rule? The user group would be looking to install an anitvirus on 10 or 12 of their machines at their resource centre. Would this require them to purchase the software?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:#Free version only for home use?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 04:23:51 AM »
I volunteer for a locall non profit user group who is looking for an anti-virus. I noticed that the licensing condition for the free homne version indicates that the computer must not be used in a company setting and must be located at home. Is this a hard and fast rule? The user group would be looking to install an anitvirus on 10 or 12 of their machines at their resource centre. Would this require them to purchase the software?

Unfortunatelly, yes... I'm not from Alwil company but what I read in this forum is: Home and non-commercial (profit) use. The non-profit organizations are not included in that posibility as their are not Home. You can ask for a discount (if I remmember correct the email is sales@avast.com).

I'm sure you will have a good purchase and hope this explanation helps you in anyway. Wellcome to the best forum around.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 09:10:03 AM »
What about schools? I recommended avast! to my mentor at Computers and Informations subject,but im not sure if he can install avast! HE on 15 computers? Peoples there are ugly sayd stupid and they download everything and i need to fix computers almost every week because some virus kills the connection.
And because each has only 96 RAM avast! is a perfect application for them.
Thx for info!
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

eda

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 01:40:10 PM »
Dear friends,

the development of antivirus software is very expensive "hobby" and we can't allow anybody to use avast! for free - it's true that can hurt...

avast! 4 Home Edition is free for home non-commercial use only. Both these conditions should be met! And because most of charity, non-profit organization, schools etc. aren't home based, they can't use avast! 4 Home. It's the worst part of the answer.  :(

But there is a second, little bit better part of answer. All these institutions can apply for a special discount  :):

1. Non-profit charity organization - 50% off the list price
2. Schools & other educational institutions - 50% off the list price
3. Health care institutions (docs, hospitals etc.) - 30% off the list price
4. Goverment instituions (central or local) - 30% off the list price

If you're going to purchase avast! online, you can ask for your discount "coupon" at sales@avast.com. If you like to purchase avast! through our partners or directly from us, ask for your discount in your order.

In very special cases we can allow the small licenses for very poor organization to be used for free, but don't ask for such license if you're not living in the poorest countris of the world. Before applying for free license, bo so kind and ask yourself: "Are we so poor that we can't spend about $10 for one year of virus protection per PC (over 20 licenses)?"

We'll describe this point in more details on our Web site next week.

Eduard

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 01:53:33 PM »
Aha thanks for the info.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 02:07:31 PM »
Special discounts for certain groups. On top of all the ohter ones, one more reason to get Avast!

;D :D ;D