Author Topic: Computer keeps rebooting in 3 min cycles after 4.7 home install  (Read 3329 times)

friedcats

Computer keeps rebooting in 3 min cycles after 4.7 home install
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:14:44 AM »
I just installed 4.7 Home, all was working just fine till then, but Kasperty was expiring and avast was recommended.  I am using Windows XP and completed the installation smoothly.  It was scanning, I went for coffee and upon my return, ny computer re-booted, and re-booted continually.  I tried a manual shut down - no change. I cannot stay on long enough to delete 4.7, or even a system restore.  I am not computer literate, so, if anyone can help, please keep it simple - like explaining to your mom.

rdmaloyjr

Re: Computer keeps rebooting in 3 min cycles after 4.7 home install
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:33:05 AM »
Two anti-viruses will conflict with each other.  I think leftovers from Kaspersky are conflicting with avast.

First boot into safe mode & uninstall avast.  Boot into normal Windows.  Next follow the instructions on using the Kaspersky removal utility. http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463  Reboot.

To be sure to get a clean install of avast, run the avast uninstall utility.  Reboot. Now reinstall a fresh copy of avast.

Welcome to the forum. :)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 12:31:41 AM »
I am not computer literate, so, if anyone can help, please keep it simple - like explaining to your mom.

Here is how to boot into safe mode: http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:15:07 PM by rdmaloyjr »

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »
  I am using Windows XP and completed the installation smoothly. 

He did say what OS he is using.. Windows XP.  Home or Pro version makes no difference in booting into safe mode.  When you boot and the main bios screen is done showing you it's setup, keep pushing the F8 button above your normal keyboard keys.  That will give you a menu in Black & White that you can choose Safe Mode, among others.

Splinter hell

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:26:03 AM »
This happened to me, I had kaspersky and I installed bitdefender antivirus and my computer kept on rebooting.I resolved this problem by reinstallting my entire Os.