Author Topic: Windows firewall  (Read 4444 times)

dntrtn

Windows firewall
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:58:39 AM »
Hi all,  I just downloaded the  newest addition of Avast.  Everytime I boot up my laptop my windows firewall deactiates, I have to turn it on everytime I go on line.  Is this something that happens because of a setting in my Avast or something all together different? 
Thank you,

Deb

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows firewall
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »
This isn't anything related to avast, which doesn't have a firewall, so I can't see why it would shutdown the windows firewall, even if it had that functionality (the ability to shutdown the firewall, which it doesn't).

What is your OS (XP, Vista, etc.) ?
Do you have any other security software, if so what ?
Do you have another firewall installed ?

So I think it is something different, unrelated to avast, there is some malware that tries to shutdown your protection, e.g. firewall/anti-virus, etc. So it may be worth running an anti-spyware scan.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode.
1.  If using winXP or Vista SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version. Or AVG anti-spyware (formerly Ewido) Resident scanner during trial On-Demand after trial ends. Or Spyware Terminator Resident scanner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »
Another possibility is that you got another AV masquerading as Avast. Slim chance, but possible.
Where'd you get it from?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

dntrtn

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys, 
I am running Vista Basic on my laptop, with no other firewall that I know of, I am running Registry cleaner, Avast antivirus, Spybot S & D, Windows defender.  I downloaded Avast from the home site, the free version and since then my fire wall keeps turning off, I get an alert and I have to go in an turn it on. Very strange, I will run an antivirus and clean up my computer and see what happens.  I will check into the programs you suggested also.

Thank you

Debbie

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:44:43 PM »
No problem, yes very strange as avast doesn't have any functionality to disable the firewall, so this is a frustrating co-incidence.

I believe you should consider installing a third party firewall as although the Vista firewall provides outbound protection it is disabled by default and even if you enabled outbound checking you have to set everything up manually.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shacks

Re: avast keeps switching off
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 12:11:27 PM »
Hi people,
I am having a problem in that Windows security centre informs me every day that my avast anti virus is switched off and I have to switch it back on again.  I still receive a daily update.  I am running vista home basic and would appreciate anyone contacting me for a solution to this annoying habit that the computer has decided to get its 'head' into.
Thanks,
Brian

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
Hi people,
I am having a problem in that Windows security centre informs me every day that my avast anti virus is switched off and I have to switch it back on again.  I still receive a daily update.  I am running vista home basic and would appreciate anyone contacting me for a solution to this annoying habit that the computer has decided to get its 'head' into.
Thanks,
Brian
Some scenarios:
1. You have another antivirus side by side with avast (that will give you conflicts).
2. Your computer is infected and avast is not correctly installed.
3. Your infected with some malware that disable (kill) avast installation.

Can you post a little more about your problem?
The best things in life are free.

shacks

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:38 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I do not have another anti virus installed
I was infected by one virus but avast detected this and sent it to the locker.
I downloaded the new version of avast only this year.
Appreciate your interest.
Brian

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
Hi, Brian, did you fully uninstall your old version of Avast, or install the new one from the programs' own updater?
(Either should work fine, just trying to work out the order of events.)

Try repairing your Avast installation.
-Control panel>Programs and settings> Manage programs> select Avast antivirus> Change, and select "repair".
(Not 100% sure of the above terminologies, not a native Vista speaker. In XP it's in "add/remove programs".)

You may need to reset the Windows security centre. It sometimes gets bewildered, the poor thing.
Here is a tutorial (there are many) that shows the steps.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 01:31:51 PM »
PS, if the reason the security centre is showing it as disabled is, in fact, because it's disabled, it could be malware-related.
Try downloading the free version of MBAM, install, update, scan.
Post the scan report if in any doubt as to what to do with the result.