Author Topic: VBS:Malware-gen  (Read 196901 times)

Malky

VBS:Malware-gen
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:19:31 AM »
I just got my home avast update to ver.   (bieżąca wersja 080124-0)
and every forum phpBB i try to get in grives me this virus warning and cuts off connection.
I asked my friend that had older ver. of avast to gry to my forum tha im admin (its phpBB also and also gives me this virus warming) to go to some topics - he didnt het any warning - but then he made update and suddenly he cant get in any forum phpBB same as i do - get warning about VBS:Malware-gen virus and connection is cutting off...
whats going on???????????????????????

Debra2008

Re: VBS:Malware-gen
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 12:26:55 AM »
The same thing is happening to me.  Malwarecrush.com is driving me nuts.  It attaches over and over again and I can not get rid of it.  How do I get rid of it for good?  I have uninstalled over and over again.  I reported it to Avast the other day and received no response.  Someone, HELP!

kubecj

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 12:50:14 AM »
This is a obvious false alarm and we're going to fix it ASAP.

Sorry for any inconveniece. We've did a major rehaul of the scripting detection and it still has some nuisances.

joburg

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 01:06:26 AM »
I wanted to start a new thread but noticed kubecj and take it that my problem in the same line:
After the latest update of Avast it all of a sudden warned me that VDownloader a problem, Win32.Trojan-gen (UPX). No big deal because I've forgotten that I have this prog.
I then tried to d/l v0.61 again from their site and same issue.
It is in the VDownloader.exe and not the ffmpeg.exe or pthreadGC2.dll files.
I deleted the prog (standalone) and then scanned two prev versions but they are fine.

Ditto with SoftPerfect Network Scanner, Win32:Spyware-gen (Trj). I have had this prog (standalone) on my puter since 11 March 2007. Today is the first warning.
The current version downloads w/o any warning.

Ditto with Registry Trash Keys Finder v 3.7.4 - Win32:Trojan-gen (Other)

Are these due to some new development?

Qwester

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 02:17:38 AM »
Hi guys I'm new here I unfortunetly just received the VBS:malware-gen virus while going to this website www.cwmania.com and also I have the Win32:Agent-PBL [trj] virus on my system. The virus were placed in the avast Virus chest should I leave them in there or get rid of them off my system???

dafourz

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 04:45:41 AM »
I also have a problem of Malware, but in my case , this is when i try to launch Google u_u

Is it the same problem than PHPbb forums ?  ???

ozzieguy

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 04:49:56 AM »
If it is fixed, how do I stop getting the same problem [on daughters machine]?

I updated and rebooted and the same problem is there.

Look forward to your response.

Thanks
Ozzie

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 04:53:05 AM »
Ozzie, which page triggers the alarm in your case, exactly?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ozzieguy

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 04:58:46 AM »
Every page my daughter loads.

Thanks VLK

Herra Tohtori

phpBB problem gone, but something is still going on
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 06:14:26 AM »
The phpBB related problem seems to be solved along with the new definitions, but I'm still getting same - probably similarly false-positive - worm detections from some other pages.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/spacespider/

As a sample one. In case you want to know why that very random link popped up on my browsing, I was looking for some Baldur's Gate portraits and that link was listed in a page that lists those.

Haven't encountered it on other pages yet after the new definitions to fix the previous phpBB false positive problem. Of course, it could be genuine this time, but I suspect it because it's the same detection report, and what are the odds of that right after similar false positives started popping up with other pages...

ozzieguy

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 06:59:02 AM »
Unfortunately my daughter got impatient and has downloaded AVG as that isn't doing the same thing thankfully.

Thanks for help.

shadowofdark

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 07:14:31 AM »
I am also getting the same error for any page I visit since the update today. Once i stop the protect then I am able to go to any page i want to. When are you guys going to have a fix?

Psyberxtreme

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 07:16:16 AM »
My VPS file is current 080125-0 and I am still getting the VBS:malware-gen warning every time I open a website/page.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated - currently have both web and standard shields on Pause (not a warm and fuzzy feeling)

Thanks!

stuthejock

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 07:23:46 AM »
I've just checked all my updates, both program and definitions are "up do date"
EVERY SINGLE site I try to visit reports the VBS:MALWARE-GEN infection.  :'(

This includes
uk.yahoo.com
www.google.com
forum.avast.com

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this. U R G E N T L Y !
Any chance you could re-release the last known good definitions as an "update" to fix this in the meantime ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:00:43 AM by stuthejock »

kubecj

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 09:09:11 AM »
Please always report your actual VPS version and the exact url doing the false alarm, otherwise we can't cross-test it.