Author Topic: Avast Home's malware detection question  (Read 4061 times)

Jeleal

Avast Home's malware detection question
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:30:41 PM »
Reading recent tests and seeing how Avast has improved in both virus and malware detection. I was wondering if an antispyware/antimalware program is still needed? I was thinking of uninstalling BOClean Antimalware, and just continue to use only Avast Home with Comodo Pro Firewall Defense+ and Firefox as my browser. Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Home's malware detection question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 06:23:11 PM »
I believe an anti-spyware is an essential as it looks at other things other than just signature detections, e.g. registry checks also.

SuperAntiSpyware is one of the most effective on-demand (free version) anti-spyware applications.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jeleal

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 02:11:27 AM »
I do use SAS for On Demand, but I was wondering if I really need an AS for RealTime protection since Avast Home also offers some RealTime AS protection, and I use Firefox for my web browsing. 

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 04:10:41 AM »
I was just reading on PC Magazine's site about SuperAntiSpyware, and they were only so so impressed with it.  It missed some malware and rootkits and doesn't protect against keylogers to well.  However, the ThreaatFire 3 ver. is pretty highly rated.  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2191336,00.asp  4  1/2 out of 5 "balls" in their review.  It is based on malicious behaviour and that part of it is patented as I understand.

Just how well would ThreatFire and Avast 4 home/pro get along?

Jeleal

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 04:19:29 AM »
I've used ThreatFire with Avast Home and they ran very well together. However, I have recently been using  Comodo Pro 3.0 with Defense+ and Avast instead and my browser is faster than with TF. Some people have actually used Comodo and TF together, but I think this is overkill. BOClean runs light with Avast and Comodo, but again I'm not sure I need any extra protection because of what all Avast Home detects. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:23:03 PM by Jeleal »

Splinter hell

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 11:40:03 PM »
Yes you do need a antispyware becuase Firewalls and antivirus cover a limited protection against spyware and adware.

Jeleal

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 12:01:01 AM »
Despite the PC Magazine review. I just added the latest Release Candidate of SuperAntiSpyware to my set up of Avast Home and Comodo Pro Firewall 3.0 and I like it. It runs so light that you can't even tell it's running. There is a current thread going on in Wilders Security Forum on SAS's Real Time Protection and good things are being said about it from people in the know there. Of course good things are always being said about Avast there too. LOL.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »
Well the real time protection only comes with the Pro version of SAS, the free version is on-demand only.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »
I had set 12/12 protection settings on the RESIDENT PROTECTION of SPY SWEEPER and experienced many immunizzation problems (SpyBlaster, Spybot S&D) and interference on a Vista PC. Had to rely on Spyware Terminator. Heard Windows Defender has about a 19% efficiency. I deactivated its R-P for that reason. ::)