Author Topic: avast! 4 Professional Edition vs Symantec Corporate 10  (Read 2946 times)

avasting

avast! 4 Professional Edition vs Symantec Corporate 10
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:46:45 PM »
Good Morning All,

For a quick background I've been using a variety of free antivirus packages for years for personal use. With multiple kids at home I've had the opportunity to see how AntiVirus packages hold up to kids who surf the web quite frequently, play games and install whatever 'codecs' are necessary to prevent more than 10 nano-seconds of downtime while online. Avast has been, by far, the best of the packages I've tried and I have yet (knock on wood) to see an infection that got through. Corporately I took over a couple of months ago at a company that uses Symantec Corporate 10, we have under 100 consultants (non-IT) in the field who are required to install whatever GPs or whatever that the customer site their working at requires. In the last two weeks I've seen two infections and since our Symantec support is up for renewal though I'd promote switching over to avast! 4 Pro however I want to get some feedback from people that have been using it in the field for their people.

Again these laptops are set up in workgroup mode and may never come back to our offices or have myself or my backup on them if they don't break. Our consultants live off their PCs so you can appreciate how much personal as well as corporate business takes place. We have had a few situations where specific clients have purchased a software solution that requires a custom configured firewall package that has prevented updates to the antivirus software but we seem to have worked through that for now.

Pros and Cons would be helpful and testimonials as to how avast! Pro has worked for you in the field. Has anyone been able to deploy these over the internet with the key number already configured so I can put the package out on our corporate extranet to prevent rogue installs?

Splinter hell

Re: avast! 4 Professional Edition vs Symantec Corporate 10
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:07:38 AM »
You should upgrade your Symantec corporate 10 to Symantec end point protection 11.This gives greater security aganist malware than Symantec corporate 10.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2234123,00.asp

Darth AkSarBen

Re: avast! 4 Professional Edition vs Symantec Corporate 10
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:12:50 AM »
I'm new to Avast!, but I certainly like what I see.  I have had AVG for about 8 months now.  They worked alright, but didn't like the way I had to weed through the tracking cookies to delete what I wanted and what I did not want to delete.  Each had to be selected.   I could not "select all" and then go in and unselect what I did not want moved to the virus vault.

Norton... don't even want to go there... again.  I've been a Norton AV fan for years, and recomended it to others.  Then I got the Norton 2007 3 user licence at Staples.  I installed it and after 1 1/2 days of hung computer, I uninstalled it and ate the other 2 license installs.  Spent good money on it and it was crap.  What a memory and resource hog it was!  Surely there had to be other solutions out there.. which brings me to Avast! ver 4.x Pro.  pretty happy with it so far.  Plays nice with what we have.

I would like to see if anyone has used it with Threat Fire 3 program from PC Tools yet?? 

just my 2 cents....