Author Topic: How to re-install pro version on new PC?  (Read 2716 times)

Kerry

How to re-install pro version on new PC?
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »
I had the Pro version on my primary PC
I had the Home version on my emergency backup PC
I built a new primary computer and tried to install the Avast Pro 4.7 (build 4.7.1043) on the new PC and it installed the home version. How do I change it from home to pro?

I tried entering my Pro Registration Key in About avast "License key" and it accepted the key but About Avast still reads Avast version 4.7 Home Edition.

Tip please,

Thanks,

Kerry
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:18:27 PM by Kerry »

rdmaloyjr

Re: How to re-install pro version on new PC?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:39:50 PM »
A restart after entering the "License key" might do it. ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:45:46 AM »
Did you not download the Pro Version, uninstall the home version reboot and then install the pro version and enter the license key ?

Whilst it is possible to enter the pro license into the home version, you have to be on-line for it to upgrade to the pro version and as rdmaloyjr you would probably have to reboot as well.

I just feel it is best to do a clean install of the pro version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kerry

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 01:10:22 AM »
Re: "A restart after entering the "License key" might do it." I tried that. No luck.

Here's what happened. While I was building my new PC I installed the free Home Avast on it and continued to use the Pro version on my primary PC.

"Did you not download the Pro Version, uninstall the home version reboot and then install the pro version and enter the license key ?" First I uninstalled the Home version on my new PC. Then I rebooted, and tried to install the Pro version (clicking on the AvastPro4.0 application icon (run as administrator)  but About Avast shows I have the Home version installed.

Is there a way to download a fresh copy of Pro without having to pay again? I don't understand why the Pro version installed the Home version.

Thanks,

Kerry

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 01:56:51 AM »
If you weren't on-line when you input the pro license it wouldn't be converted to the pro version. That may be why the update/upgrade failed.

You don't pay to download, only to purchase the license.
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-professional.html

I would also suggest you download the avast! Uninstall Utility to completely clean the home version, find it here and save it to your HDD.

Now disconnect from the internet, uninstall the home version, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot, install the latest pro version you downloaded, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kerry

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 11:41:05 AM »
Hi DavidR.

If you weren't on-line when you input the pro license it wouldn't be converted to the pro version. That may be why the update/upgrade failed.
I'm always connected so it must be something else. When I enter the license key I get "The license key has been successfully inserted." And it shows up in the about window but "Avast version 4.7 Home Edition" remains at the top of the About Avast window.

I did as you suggested and used the uninstall utility and then downloaded a fresh copy from the link you provided and it sure looked like it was installing the pro version except for the results. The utility did not remove the Alwil folder from the Program Files.

Prior this last attempt with the utility I had uninstalled Avast via Vista's Programs and Features and then via regedit removed all traces of Alwil and Avast and then did the clean install and still got the home version.

Thank you,

Kerry