Author Topic: 5 providers total, 4 running?  (Read 5990 times)

rdwngsfn

5 providers total, 4 running?
« on: March 14, 2004, 05:09:21 PM »
Hi.

I am not sure what this means. Can you explain it to me?

Thank so much and have a great day.

Rdwngsfn :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:5 providers total, 4 running?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 05:12:36 PM »
It just means that 4 out of the 5 providers are running.  Most likely the one not running at the moment is the email provider scanner. If I take it you use outlook (express) as email client. Open it and you will see al 5 running. Right click the blue ball with the A in it next to your clock to see/change the provider settings if needed/wanted.

rdwngsfn

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 05:23:39 PM »
Wow such a fast response. Thank you so much. I was just worried that something that should be on wasn't. I do use Outlook and tried what you said but it still said 4 out 5 providers was on. But as long as it is nothing serious I am not worried.

Thanks again.
Rdwngsfn

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 05:31:13 PM »
Could also be the p2p provider that is not currently running. But anyway it is perfectly normal that a provider is not running if there is no need for it ;D

techie101

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 05:42:03 PM »
rd,

The fact of the matter is that one of the modules within Avast is strictly for those users who have MS OUTLOOK/EXHCHANGE.

The module is different from the one used for Outlook Express.

The MS OE module will not run unless MS Outlook/Exchange is installed and in use.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Techie101

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 06:55:55 PM »
If the "4 out of 5" bothers you and you don't have Outlook, why not just remove that provider (and/or any others you never use, like P2P in my case)?

Go into add/remove programs, select "Avast" then "Change", and you'll see among other features all the resident providers.  Just untick the "useless" (for you) ones and save your changes.

I don't know if it's still the case, with recent program updates which have improved shutdown times generally, but at one time it seemed to be agreed that system-shutdown time could be improved a little with fewer providers.

(Edit) As a P.S., if at any time in the future you find you do need the removed providers after all, they're easily replaced the same way you took them out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 06:59:27 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

techie101

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 02:16:13 AM »
Mike,

It certainly can't hurt to remove non-used modules.  Good advice.

techie

shgoh

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 10:06:45 AM »
If the "4 out of 5" bothers you and you don't have Outlook, why not just remove that provider (and/or any others you never use, like P2P in my case)?

Go into add/remove programs, select "Avast" then "Change", and you'll see among other features all the resident providers.  Just untick the "useless" (for you) ones and save your changes.

I don't know if it's still the case, with recent program updates which have improved shutdown times generally, but at one time it seemed to be agreed that system-shutdown time could be improved a little with fewer providers.

(Edit) As a P.S., if at any time in the future you find you do need the removed providers after all, they're easily replaced the same way you took them out.

cool....i didn't know about this....since when we could customise this??.... :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 02:42:43 PM »
cool....i didn't know about this....since when we could customise this??.... :)

Since the very earlier 4.1 versions  ;D
The 4.0 does not allow this configuration. It was a 'WISHLIST' topic at that time  :-*
The best things in life are free.

shgoh

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 02:44:29 PM »
Since the very earlier 4.1 versions  ;D
The 4.0 does not allow this configuration. It was a 'WISHLIST' topic at that time  :-*

i didn't notice about it....avast really rockzzz