Author Topic: Avast stopping legal programme  (Read 1685 times)

varunan

Avast stopping legal programme
« on: January 28, 2008, 06:56:45 AM »
Hi,

I have a transliteration programme called Varamozhi (www.varamozhi.sourceforge.net) which probably runs a script (it does open a DOS window which cannot be closed while the programme is being used) and Avast now does not allow this to happen.

How do I override this action?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance
Varunan

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast stopping legal programme
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:34:58 PM »
avast shouldn't block, but scan.

Or are you saying avast is detecting it as malware ?

If so:
Then confirm it isn't malware, if so, exclude the file from scans and most importantly report it (send a sample) to avast.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners.

If it is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and
Program Settings, Exclusions
Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the Standard Shield and Program Settings, exclusions.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and false positive/undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (or you can allow it to be sent to the chest when detected) where it can do no harm and send it from there (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so any further action you take can remove that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security