Author Topic: Change the location of the VRDB file folder?  (Read 2532 times)

Darth AkSarBen

Change the location of the VRDB file folder?
« on: January 29, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »
I use a program called Turbo Backup and it does a great job fore me.  I have it save certain files and/or folders automatically every night for backups.  3 of the folders are pertaining to digital pictures taken with our cameras.  Since these folders are already functioning to back up any new or added file, can I change the location of the VRDB folder from C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\integ to one of my folders that contain pictures or ANY other folder I have that is already pre-scheduled for backup?  It would make it a lot handier to have it in a "back-up" folder than have to change the backup program to save it to the other hard drive.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Change the location of the VRDB file folder?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
You can't change the VRDB folder, it will remain relative to the folder you installed avast, <path>\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\integ

I also don't see the worth of backing-up the avast.int file (the VRDB data) as it is volatile data and reflects your system at that time, so to use at some point in the future wouldn't really serve any purpose (IMHO). The easiest thing is just to do a manual generation of the VRDB if you ever needed to replace it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:41 PM »
Thanks David!
If I understand correctly, the VRDB data is a snapshot of critical system files that would (or rather might) be needed if you had a virus infect one of the system files.  Making a system restore point on occasion, might be better served than worrying too much about the VRDB?? 

Personally, I'm pretty picky about where I surf on the internet, and I NEVER open attachments unless I've first checked them out.  Also I have settings in my email to read messages in plain text, and not to send read receipts as default.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:59:33 PM »
You would be better using a disk imaging software to take a proper snapshot/back-up of your system (an exact copy bit by bit). System restore is by no means infallible and it won't cover nearly as many exe files that the VRDB generation would.

The problem when you most need system restore is when it might just let you down, doing a regular disk image back-up, I do one every week and keeping at least one months worth gives you a much better system, so much so as system restore is permanently disabled on my system.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security