Author Topic: avast's firewall and pc controls moieties = problematical potential?  (Read 4667 times)

nweissma

avast 4.7.1098 is God sent!-- it has saved me countless times in the past year.

it has recently come to my attention that avast has a small firewall capability. i have been experiencing a few networking  problems; my isp has suggested several times that it might be related to the firewall. where can i learn the details of avast's firewall - i need to know whether it conflicts with the native vista firewall?

i also just learned that avast 4.7.1098 has pc controls; i wonder whether these functions might conflict with native vista capabilities, or that of my antimalware (i must ask this to lavasoft!). where can i learn the details of avast's pc controls - i have not looked, but it has been my experience that the genre of the avast help machinery is not sympathetic to these questions.

thanks.

philly12

Re: avast's firewall and pc controls moieties = problematical potential?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:07:25 AM »
umm..i'm pretty sure avast! does not act like a firewall.  About the only way it could act like a firewall would be if it blocked a harmful application from downloading from the net.  I could be wrong on this one, but I know you shouldn't have two firewalls running at once, and every avast! user has another firewall (or should have one).  My firewall recommendations are: zone alarm free, comodo, or PC Tools firewall.  (my personal favorite is comodo, but i will probably get stoned by the avast! forum guys for even mentioning that)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:26:02 PM »
The Network Shield shouldn't be confused with a firewall as it is only monitoring for common worm attacks, see extract of avast help file image.

What are these PC Controls you mention that 4.7.1098 has ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »
 :)  Hi :

Unless you have a "PAID" version of Ad-Aware, I recommend you uninstall
     it, since it is no longer a top antispyware/antitrojan program . You would
     have better protection using a program like the FREE version of
     "SUPERAntiSpyware" from www.superantispyware.com .

nweissma

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 12:44:38 AM »
The Network Shield
what network shield are you talking about - all i see is the rotating sphere?shouldn't be confused with a firewall as it is only monitoring for common worm attacks,
see extract of avast help file image.
please explain  "help file image" -- where is this?
What are these PC Controls you mention that 4.7.1098 has ?
http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=lst-1..."Some decent PC controls are even handed out here. You can block certain URLs and file operations, such as writing to files or even renaming, deleting or formatting them."

i am thinking that this url-blocking capability might be causing my network problems.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:00:29 AM »
Well URL Blocking I wouldn't call a PC Control but blocking URLs that 'you' don't want to be loaded in your browser.

It should have zero impact on any local network problems as it uses domain names not IP addresses and 'you' have to input the URL to block, it isn't an autonomous tool but a manual one.

The image attached to the post is an extract of the avast help file about the Network Shield (click it to enlarge).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nweissma

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:04:39 AM »
I recommend you uninstall it,
are you suggesting that Ad-Watch/Ad-Aware can cause networking problems? can you explain the technical connection?
You would have better protection using a program like the FREE version of "SUPERAntiSpyware" from www.superantispyware.com .
many thanks for this lead!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:14:42 AM »
I don't believe Spiritsongs is suggesting adaware or adwatch is responsible for your networking problems, just that he feels adaware is no longer a heavyweight anti-spyware tool.

Your selective quote doesn't say why he feels you should uninstall it, which had nothing to do with network problems.

Quote from: Spiritsongs
     Unless you have a "PAID" version of Ad-Aware, I recommend you uninstall
     it, since it is no longer a top antispyware/antitrojan program . You would
     have better protection using a program like the FREE version of
     "SUPERAntiSpyware"

Since you mention adwatch I can only assume that you have the paid version of adaware, so he has qualified his recommendation to uninstall.

nweissma

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 04:27:46 AM »
The image attached to the post is an extract of the avast help file about the Network Shield (click it to enlarge).
thanks for this -- it is right on point! where can i find the full manual from which this came?

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 05:06:04 AM »

Click on ... Start > Programs > avast! antivirus > Help

This will open the avast help window where you can find this and much more information.