Author Topic: Help! Don't know what to do about Web Shield  (Read 2889 times)

Wyrdling

Help! Don't know what to do about Web Shield
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »
I'm running Windows Vista and just installed Avast. But it blocks my Internet access (some of it at least - msn messenger seems to be working just fine), so I've had to deactivate the Web Shield to be able to even post this. What should I do?

I've tried reading both the faq and the relevant posts here, but nothing really helps me - I'm quite lost on what exactly to do. (Note, I'm not used to configure systems of any kind myself.)
To explain further: I've tried adding the mentioned avast .exe files to the allowed files of my firewall, but besides the fact that I didn't have it turned on when the problem first occured (didn't know it wasn't on until I checked it) (and turning it on didn't change anything by the way), I can't seem to find those files anywhere in the Avast folders! But of course, I may be blind... I did allow the Avast program as a whole access, though.
Oh, and my computer comes with a pre(half)installed McAfee trial, does that need to be uninstalled first and could that be the culprit? I didn't want to risk removing it so far in case Avast wouldn't run perfectly.

Hope you can help me,
Erica

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help! Don't know what to do about Web Shield
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:45:02 AM »
Ahhh.... I see the problems  Vista!  perhaps you need to upgrade to Windows XP?? ;D

Seriously, you read time and again on the internet about 2 anti virus programs running on the computer at the same time.  They just don't play nice.  Nix (uninstall) the McAfee trial.  Probably a lot more bloat on your computer, beside McAfee,  that came "pre installed" that you really don't need as well. ;)

Wyrdling

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:18:35 AM »
Removing McAfee did the trick ^^

Thanks for your advice guys.

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 03:49:23 PM »
Glad you're up and running, Erica!  Avast! is a well suited program for keeping away the nasties. 

Welcome to the forums!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 04:07:31 PM »
Removing McAfee did the trick ^^

Thanks for your advice guys.

Thanks for the feed back, sorry I missed the question about McAfee.You did right uninstalling it, two resident anti-virus applications on the same system usually leads to problems, some people get away with it but it is most likely to bite you eventually.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security