Author Topic: After removing Trojan viruses, Dial-up has issues  (Read 3541 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline newton22

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
After removing Trojan viruses, Dial-up has issues
« on: March 14, 2004, 07:48:13 PM »
Yesterday I performed a thorough scan on my desktop computer and avast! found 6 viruses. I cannot remember the exact names of the viruses, but they all were Trojans (or related).

Now when I connect through dial-up, the connection establishes, but the connection itself hangs. In other words, I dial the number and it successfully logs me online, but my connection won't receive any bytes, so therefore none of the webpages would load.

I don't know if this connection issue was affected after I removed the Trojans avast! found, but I'm guessing. Anyone else experience a similar problem?

I need to get the dial up working again soon, because I'm in urgent need of the net. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or at least bring back the Trojans I deleted?

I'm frantic about the problem, help is appreciated.

Offline Eddy

  • Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • ***
  • Posts: 31333
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:After removing Trojan viruses, Dial-up has issues
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 08:16:47 PM »
It very well could be that during the removal of the virusses a file needed for a proper connection has been removed or changed. What you can try is this: Remove the modem from device manager, reboot and reinstall it. This should restore your connection settings. If needed recreate the dial up connection.

I am sure that if one of the Alwill members have an idea they will do so very soon. Just wait a little before trying this to see if others have any suggestions which you can try 1st.

Offline newton22

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re:After removing Trojan viruses, Dial-up has issues
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 12:24:08 AM »
Thanks for the help, but I tried reinstalling the drivers for my modem and creating a new connection. No dice. :(


Offline newton22

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re:After removing Trojan viruses, Dial-up has issues
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 04:27:45 AM »
Please help...anyone :'(

Offline Lisandro

  • Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
  • *
  • Posts: 67255
Re:After removing Trojan viruses, Dial-up has issues
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 04:40:53 AM »
Newton, I read your post just from the beginning...
I'm not an expert on virus removal and I did not have a problem like yours...

Can't you create a new dial-up connection just from the beggining? I think yes but the connection will be lost, won't it?

Do you have a firewall? Which one?
Maybe, if it is not a trojan issue, an application called 'StayLive' can try to keep your connection alive. You can find it at General Forum, Links for almost everything, probably at section Internet Tools... I'm not sure, that was a long forum.

I keep thinking... Hope you are not alone  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline newton22

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re:After removing Trojan viruses, Dial-up has issues
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 05:14:10 PM »
I appreciate the help Technical, however, my problem isn't that my connection gets disconnected.

The problem is after I go online, none of the webpages would load. I check my connection status and it shows that about 2000 bytes are sent out and only 1000 bytes are received.

I'm sure its a problem with the computer because this laptop (I'm using currently temporarily) could log online perfectly through the same line.

I can't use this laptop anymore in 2 days (its not mine). I might end up buying another PC.

Offline whocares

  • Super Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 1698
  • I'm not a llama! :-)
Re:After removing Trojan viruses, Dial-up has issues
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 05:57:33 PM »
Hi,
can you do a ping or tracert to any adresses ?

open a DOS-window and enter:
ping 66.98.166.72
   or
tracert 66.98.166.72
 (the adress of this forum)

also search for your host(s) and lmhost(s) files and check the contents, maybe a trojan/hijacker messed it up / changed all inet calls to 127.0.0.1 / localhost or similar ?

are there any warnings in device manager or the event-log ?

have you run a complete scan with avast and best also with ad-aware, spybot, cwshredder (download them on a different PC and instal them on the inet-less one)

Links and details via the board search

try to open avast's report/logfiles and tell us the exact names of the found trojans, and where they where found: full path/folder/filename(s)

 ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 05:59:10 PM by whocares »

neal62

  • Guest
Re:After removing Trojan viruses, Dial-up has issues
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 08:24:31 AM »
newton22..

If your using a Windows O.S. your problem may be that your networking  TCP/IP protocol is corrupted. You may have to uninstall that particular one (tcp/ip). Only problem is that sometimes when doing that to completely re-install that protocol the computer you have may ask for the Microsoft Windows C.D. to be inserted to be able to completely re-install "tcp/ip" Sometimes the computer will not ask for the Windows C.D. to do this.  :-X