Author Topic: MAC problem (VBS-Malware-Gen)  (Read 13871 times)

pasional

MAC problem (VBS-Malware-Gen)
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:28:40 AM »
Hi new with Avast, have this problem and didn't find any reference to it in the forum. my OS X 10.4.11 all of the sudden can't open my files. they keep the application icon but tha app doesn't recognize the files. all this happens in only one hard drive (sadly that's the one I have my working files. I work in Fireworks and flash the night before and next morning can't open any file in that folder, it doesn't matter the extension name, not even the txt files. Run Avast and found some virus (VBS-Malware-Gen) in some .as and .pho files, trashed them. but things are the same. keeep running Avast and nothing (besides the common error 13). I was wondering if somebody had this problem before and if this has to do with a virus. Sent my files to virusATavast.com but I didn't get an answer.
Thanks for any help, Charles.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: MAC problem (VBS-Malware-Gen)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »
Can you post the exact error message you are getting when you try to open the files?

Also you might try to repair Permissions using the Disk Utility:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106712
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

pasional

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:04:44 PM »
Hi thanks for your answer, I've try to go back to my "BAD" files and they all open now so I can not get the error message for you. This is the second time in the last three days.
the error pretty much was like : can't open this file or this file has the wrong type.
Sorry I didn't pay too much attention but at that moment I've lost my website and just panic.
The only thing left I have is the zip files that I sent to support, but I can't open them now. I zip them for windows with a password : "virus".
I will try to attach them here but I don't think they will allow that. Let's see...
No can't send the zip.
About the permissions this will only work on the startup drive, but in the drive I am having the problems there is no system.
OK now IS HAPPENING in a different drive My FLAs and SWFs wont open,( I had a working copy in another drive). They open in the original troubled drive. MESSAGE: Failed to open document:../folder/folder/xxxx.fla. and I can not attach fla or swf either for you to see.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 06:14:04 PM »
Select a .fla file and right click and choose get info. Under "Open With:" make sure Fireworks is selected and then click change all.

That should associate fireworks with that file type and you can repeat for any other file types that give the error.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

pasional

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »
well .fla is for Flash 8, I did that anyways but still doesn't work. is the same for the whole folder.
By the way I run the Disk utility too. no change.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »
Did you by any Chance Install the Quicktime 7.4.0 update? It is known to break some Adobe apps:
http://www.macworld.com/article/131809/article.html

pasional

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 05:28:44 PM »
Hi I  just giving up, yes I just updated the last OS X 10.4.11 with everything, but quickTime seems to have a problem just with After Effects and Premiere, I think that if it was with Flash, Dreamweaver it will be all over the net by now, and nobody else in this forum seems to complain about it.
I couldn't even find out what this VBS virus does to mac. Charles