Author Topic: unable to update avast home edition manually  (Read 2504 times)

eagerJO

unable to update avast home edition manually
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
Hi, all...newbie here.

I have been using avast home edition (v. 4.7) for a while. Recently I am having a problem to manually update my avast...it pops up the window telling me to use internet connection to update the PROGRAM. When checking the latest version of avast home edition, i did not see any new update for the program. So what does it mean then? This is not the first time I update the database, but this is the first time I have problem updating it manually--usually I can manually update it, easily--

Could anyone help me out with this problem?

Thanks in advance--any troubleshooting or suggestion is very much appreciated.

NB: I do not have internet connection in my PC. I usually download the update from my friend's home PC and transfer it to mine using removable media-flashdisk.

Darth AkSarBen

Re: unable to update avast home edition manually
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »
Interesting!  With no internet connection you would only get viruses by way of USB or other removable media.  You could download a newer version of Avast! Home and transfer it on your USB media from your friends house, but without your PC actually downloading email, or browsing, I can't see the real worry. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:14:51 PM »
What is the exact avast version number the latest is 4.7.1098 ?
If yours is an older version, there may have been a change in the way that the VPS updates are handled that requires a more recent program version than you have.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

eagerJO

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 08:51:18 AM »
DavidR,

Thanks for telling me the latest version of avast. I just noticed that mine was only 4.7, I didn't know that it is now 4.7.1098. I am no longer having that problem of downloading vps database manually. Thank you very much.

Darth AkSarBen,

Yeah, it is no worry that I don't have direct internet connection in my PC. But often it is subject to infection as I often plug in and out some removable media..that's why I need to regularly update my avast, manually of course. Anyway, thanks for responding.

You guys are awesome!!! ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 03:35:20 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

It always pays to check the program version on the avast.com home page or program version history, http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security