Author Topic: Mac suggestions  (Read 7985 times)

cconrad

Mac suggestions
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:00:50 AM »
Hi,

some suggestions for your Mac version.

1) I'm a new Mac user, so I'm probably just ignorant, but I had a problem uninstalling the product on Leopard, until I read the thread down in this forum, which worked fine. The optimal (read user-friendly) solution in my book would be if the icon could just be dragged from the Applications folder to the Trash whether or not any Avast daemon was running. But I'm no Mac developer so I don't know if this is technically possible. Otherwise maybe there could be a "Quit" button somewhere in the GUI, if not in the menu. Since the application is able to stop itself when the checkbox "Launch at startup as a persistant application" gets unchecked, why not make this a menu item requiring the user to enter an administrator password?

2) After following the uninstallation steps from the other topic in this forum I noticed that a rule in Mail.app ("avast! Dont change me") wasn't removed. No big deal either, but would be nice if all traces were removed of course.

Best regards,
Claus

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Mac suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »
Hi,

some suggestions for your Mac version.

1) I'm a new Mac user, so I'm probably just ignorant, but I had a problem uninstalling the product on Leopard, until I read the thread down in this forum, which worked fine. The optimal (read user-friendly) solution in my book would be if the icon could just be dragged from the Applications folder to the Trash whether or not any Avast daemon was running. But I'm no Mac developer so I don't know if this is technically possible. Otherwise maybe there could be a "Quit" button somewhere in the GUI, if not in the menu. Since the application is able to stop itself when the checkbox "Launch at startup as a persistant application" gets unchecked, why not make this a menu item requiring the user to enter an administrator password?

2) After following the uninstallation steps from the other topic in this forum I noticed that a rule in Mail.app ("avast! Dont change me") wasn't removed. No big deal either, but would be nice if all traces were removed of course.

Best regards,
Claus

Hallo,
there's a Quit button in the menu, focus on the last items in avast! menu column. The last one, "Quit avast! antivirus and Agent" is the desired option. Persistence means "always running", even when the application was killed/terminated/aborted/exploited... whatever. Thus, with persistent mode ON, the first step should be always to turn the persistence OFF, no way :).

Removing by moving to Trash is the easiest, but not 100% clean way, and, indeed, this trick can't modify your rules in Mail.app.
Normally, the script Applications/avast!.app/Contents/Resources/ResetRuleScript.txt does this job.
regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)