Author Topic: System Freeze up  (Read 6865 times)

rlm

System Freeze up
« on: May 16, 2003, 06:17:36 PM »
Hi. I'm new to AVAST! but not to computers. I have searched this forum and found a few topics and info. but no absolute fix.

This may be lengthy but I'll be as thorough as possible.

Here is my system configuration. [Win XP Pro (all updates installed)]  [1.2gb DDR Ram]  [(2) 120gb hd's] [McAfee SpamKiller 4] [Becky! e-mail (http://www.rimarts.co.jp/becky.htm)]  [OutPost (firewall)]  I had AVG Antivirus (www.grisoft.com) but it didn't support my e-mail client which lead me on a search and found AVAST!4. Will AVAST!4 scan my e-mail (yes I have POP3) Is there any special settings I must apply for scans with-in Becky! or SpamKiller?

Here is my problem. I uninstalled AVG. Ran Registry First Aid ver3 to remove any left over entries in the registry. Ran online scan with both HOUSECALL and PANDA no virus found. Stopped ALL programs from auto starting (msconfig). Downloaded AVAST!4 Pro (trial), installed allowing BOOT SCAN. BOOT SCAN completed with no problem and went to the decktop. From that point my system freezes up. No keyboard use possible. I reboot... same thing when my desktop appears. I start in SAFE MODE... uninstall AVAST!4... re-boot... NO MORE PROBLEMS.

Ran Registry First Aid and tried entire process over. This time I had control of my pc. But only for a short time. Less than 40 min. later....freeze up starts again. Had to uninstall.

I have repeated this install - uninstall - process 6 times now. Do you have any clues and/or suggetstions?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 09:11:43 PM by rlm »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:System Freeze up
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 11:21:40 PM »
rlm,

thanks for starting a new thread.

My guess is that it must be a collision with another program running on your computer. It doesn't even have to be a 'program', it can just be a hardware driver or something... It's quite difficult to say, but I can asure you that WinXP is now in fact our premium and most-supported platform and there are literally thousands of WinXP users who are using avast! without any problems. ;)

Could you please try to describe what software and/or hardware you have installed? I'm particulary interested in the "low-level stuff", if you know what I mean. Also, If you had a program that could list all drivers loaded in the system, and you could deliver this list to me, that could be of great help, too. I understand that these 'experiments' are quite time-consuming, but there's a not-so-small chance that we'll be able to finally identify the conflicting piece of code, and you'd thus help the whole avast community. :)

If you're not comfortable with sending this (kinda sensitive) information to this public forum, please feel free to send it to me as an IM or via e-mail.

Thanks a lot for you patience,
Vlk

BTW: Yes, it is possible to configure any e-mail client that's based on POP3 or IMAP4 to have it's traffic scanned by avast (provided you don't use SSL).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rlm

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 11:39:35 PM »
Thank you for responding. Unfortunatly I'm at work right now :-[. When I get home I will run "WinDriver Ghost 2.01" and try to compile a list all drivers and installed programs & hardware to send to you to inspect.  I agree, it is probably a driver conflict and not actually AVAST!. I hope, together, we can track down the cause and help others that may face the same problem too.   :)

tofi

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 08:20:21 AM »
same problem to me . system lock up after rebooting. totally froze my computer.

shooter

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 12:46:41 PM »
hi,

I have also removed avast! and i instal it back without any problems!!
   shooter

rlm

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 08:04:59 PM »
HI vlk  8)   I have sent a report to you by e-mail for you to have a look at my installed software & hardware  :-\  sorry if I sent it more than once(had problems).  Looking forward to hearing what you might find to fix this conflict...

rlm

AiTcH4Uk

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 12:06:03 AM »
I recently decided to try Avast.

However I suffered similar problems already discussed in this thread and have been forced to remove the program temporarily.

Is this thread dead ?

Was the problem identified and resolved ?

rlm

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 02:50:20 AM »
Well I never did figure out the exact culprit,  :'( ( possibly old registry entries) BUT was able to correct the problem. What I ended up doing was to uninstall AVAST! then run a registry cleaner ( I ran both the FREE " jv16 PowerTools " located at http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml   and also paid version of " Registry First Aid " located at  http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/Reg1Aid  )  Which found old entries of previous antivirus prog.  :o :o After cleaning the registry and rebooting, I then installed AVAST!.   Haven't had problems since.   :D  I hope this helps all other  AVAST!  users with this symptoms.

rlm

AiTcH4Uk

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 02:57:13 AM »
Many thanks RLM !

rlm

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 02:59:40 AM »
good  luck  !!! :D

rlm