Author Topic: Unable to install any anti-virus software  (Read 11724 times)

James W.

Unable to install any anti-virus software
« on: February 04, 2008, 07:54:01 PM »
Hello,

Where do I start? First, I have a Sony Vaio with Vista Home Premium. Ok, when I turned on my computer I received an error message from Avast! that it could not download updates...I was also unable to do it manually, although I had an internet connection. I could not turn on the on-access protection, and I got an RPC error when I tried to run Avast! So, I went to the FAQ and did what they recommended. To no avail. I did this as administrator and with firewall deactivated. I tried to repair Avast and got this message "A setiface error has occurred:2 Try to reinstall or contact support please!" Then, I removed Avast using the removal tool...downloaded and tried to reinstall. I got a message saying that (translated from German) "Avast setup no longer works."

Here's the kicker. No matter which anti-virus/spyware programs I try to install...I get similar messages. I've restored the computer to earlier dates, I've used safe or secure mode. Nothing! I can't use Hi-jack this either. Anybody out there with a clue about what is happening on my laptop?

CharleyO

Re: Unable to install any anti-virus software
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 02:11:20 AM »

First thing is to tell us if this is a new laptop and, if so, did it come with a pre-installed anti-virus software?

If it is not a new laptop, has there ever been an anti-virus program on this laptop, if so what was it, has this old anti-virus been removed, and how was it removed?

James W.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:33:59 PM »
I had bought this laptop last October...Norton was pre-installed. I immediately removed Norton using their removal tool and installed Avast, because I've been satisfied with the program in the past. It had been working fine until about 3-4 days ago.

Here's a bit of extra information: Vista, Centrino Duo 1.8 Ghz, 2Gig RAM, 160 Gig HD, Vista Firewall, DLink WLAN, 1 user.

James W.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:36:35 PM »
Oh yeah, Spybot is still working fine, but other than the normal cookies found...nothing unusual. It even updates fine.

James W.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:20:06 PM »
Wow! It's getting crazier all the time. Now Vista updates download but will not install. I wonder if running a Vista repair would work?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:24:04 PM »
There is a beagle variant that can disable a number of anti-viruses and this is often hidden by a rootkit.

Also see, anti-rootkit, detection, removal & protection http://www.antirootkit.com/software/index.htm. Try these as they are some of the more efficient and user friendly anti-rootkit tools.
- Panda Rootkit Cleaner - http://research.pandasoftware.com/blogs/images/AntiRootkit.zip.
- F-Secure Blacklight may not always be available, http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight - Direct link, ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/fsbl.exe

Run a couple of these anti-rootkit tools and see if it detects any thing. Then try this anti-spyware tool, SUPERantispyware, download, install, do a manual update and then run it preferable from safe mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

James W.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:18:03 PM »
Well, whatever is going on, I can't install any of these programs...I can't even unpack zip files. Maybe it's a Vista problem, although I don't think so because for the first time since I've had this computer the Vista firewall blocked some actions from IE.

Maybe the German government is watching my computer. :o

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:19:51 PM »
There are some quite sophisticated malware and they are on the lookout for things that could do it harm, like anti-virus/spyware/rootkit tools. So it is possible that this could still be the case rather than a Vista problem.

Also as you mentioned you had NAV trial installed this could leave remnants that could be screwing things up. A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

If that isn't it I'm afraid I have zero experience of Vista, but there is a recovery console thing with a number of different recovery tools. For more information check out this link, Mcrosoft Vista Recovery Console

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:36:51 AM »
You might need to repair vista.... Try Windows XP w/SP2 (until the SP3 comes out). 
You might need to go to a site and run a internet scan of your computer.  That way nothing is installed.  Make sure you have permissions set in the registry for "you" to install or modify programs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:52:02 AM by Darth AkSarBen »

James W.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »
I can't get ANY online scanners to work. This is unbelievable. Sophisticated indeed. Even some websites are appearing with random characters scattered throughout the page. I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and format. I'll try a repair first, but I'm afraid that won't remove whatever it is.

I appreciate your suggestions...thanks.

James W.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »
Btw...I had tried the Norton removal tool. Can't get it to run. Go figure... Seems like others in the forum are having similar problems with getting Avast to start on-access protection. Maybe there is something new out there.

Darth AkSarBen

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 07:55:59 PM »
Try here: NOD32 ONLINE SCANNER  They have a online scanner right under the theat level of the day.  Right side of screen.

James W.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 08:48:36 PM »
I tried the scanner and got a message that there is a problem with onlinescanner.cab... I also got a similar message from the norton online scanner. The filename was something like enavweb.cab. Hmmmm, both *.cab files. Maybe, that brings us closer to a solution.

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:04:25 PM »

onlinescanner.cab appears to be a file of NOD32 but is also used by eset & maybe others.

http://g.s.scandoo.com/search?hl=en&q=onlinescanner.cab&btnG=Search

enavweb.cab appears to be a file of Symantec/Norton.

http://g.s.scandoo.com/search?q=enavweb.cab&btnG=Search&hl=en

These would be legitimate files since you have used these products.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »
When you download the anti-rootkit tools rename them before they get to your system like P-A-R.zip for the panda antirootkit.zip, etc. in the hope that it won't recognise the file name, the same when you extract the executable file from the zip file, change the name again in the hope of when you run it it isn't recognised.